Skip to main content

Before I look elsewhere, are SONOS planning on producing a CD player in the near future?

I wouldn’t think so, they make speakers and headphones, not hardware for playing media.

Missing a trick as people of a certain age have hundreds of cd’s sitting in cupboards which would sound great coming out of a SONOS speaker.

That’s why they make devices that have a line in, so you can connect any media player you want, to the Sonos ecosystem. I doubt there is much of a market or any profit to be made there, most folks who have CDs already have a CD player device. 

Missing a trick as people of a certain age have hundreds of cd’s sitting in cupboards which would sound great coming out of a SONOS speaker.

Then perhaps add a 3rd-party CD player's line-out to a compatible Sonos device’s line-in. Personally speaking though, a good many Sonos users prefer to rip the CD’s to a lossless audio format like .flac and then stream them over the LAN from a PC, or NAS, using an SMBv2 (or higher) locally shared library.

Once upon a time, in a land long since forgotten, by Sonos, people used to rip their CD’s on these things called hard drives and someone had the great idea of building a wireless speaker system that let people share the music they’d ripped around the whole house… those were the days… 

This below shows the new Sonos App (on iPad) streaming ‘ripped’ CD audio that’s held on a NAS local library… never had a problem with it. It (still) all works fine for our Home Sonos setup here.

I just chose to search and playback tracks from Artists that have the name "Bryn" and "Ian" in their name as they are names mentioned here in this thread… the search features and playback features for local libraries are really fast. So it’s worth considering ‘ripping’ the CD tracks and then streaming them over the LAN from locally shared network storage to any/every Sonos product around the Home.