Question

Play1 vs. Play3 for Home Theater set up in Large Room

• 20 August 2016
  • 5 replies

I want to get a Sonos 5.1 system for my living room. The room is fairly large - roughly 20' x 30'. I have a 75" TV and was planning to get the Playbar, Sub, and two rear speakers.

Should I get the Play1 speaker pair or the Play3 speaker pair? The cost difference is small and not really an issue. Just looking for the best performance / sound.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11
What you will find with some reading on this forum is that, in general, the Play:1s are seen as a perfect surround speaker. Remember, in a 5.1 setup, the surrounds are used for ambient sound. The difference in experience from a 1 to a 3 to a 5, for surround purposes, is minimal at best.

That being said, if you also plan to use the speakers for music (either with the Playbar or by ungrouping them and using stand-alone), then it comes down to preference. Even still, many people still prefer the Play:1 over the Play:3, regardless of size and cost.

End of the day, you cannot go wrong with any selection. Personally, I went with Play:1s as surrounds. And because I have the Sub, when listening to music they sound great.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
For surrounds yet surrounds don't normally do much in TV mode as surrounds are always more ambient and play:1s are sufficient. If you plan on really wanting to pump music in your system I still like the Play:3's better for music.

I think the music side of it should be your deciding factor.

the sub however is the biggest addition to the system - it rocks!
Badge
It’s 2018 now, and the 2013 Sonos Soundbar has yet to be updated with a new Model. I’ve heard rumors that it will be released before 2020.

That being said, can a pair of Sonos 1 speakers + Sub work now until a new sonos soundbar is released? Do you think it worth it to wait until a newer model soundbar is released (IN HOPE that it will support 4K ARC audio with HDMI?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I think you put similar post in another thread. With Playbase having just released recently - don't forsee another soundbar for a while.

If you really want the bells and whistles a wired system with Sonos connect is still the champ in surround sound.

I do love the sound of the playbar, 1s, and sub though (video and music).
Badge
Thanks!