Play ONE Stereo Pair - How good?

• 8 January 2019
  • 13 replies

Badge +3
Hi guys, first post here. I’m considering changing the setup in my lounge but wondering just how good the Play ONE can sound in a pair? I currently have a Play:1 in the office, a Play ONE in the bedroom, Connect in the lounge ( going into Cyrus amp, CA DAC and PSB speakers) and Play:3 in the garage. I’m considering the change more for practical reasons as my current system sounds very good. Just wondering how a pair of ONE’s may compare to the Connect and Cyrus/PSB setup. Or would adding another Play:3 and pairing them be a better option?

Thanks in advance

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Best thing to do would be to take the 2 Play:1s you already have see how you like them as a stereo pair. If you like it, then keep it that way, buy some more if needed. If not, you can in pair them and put everything back the way it was previously.

The play:3 is nice and a good choice for the right space, but since it's no longer sold by Sonos, you'd have to find a store that still has some in stock somehow, or get a used unit.
Badge +3
Cheers. I can’t pair the Play:1 and ONE unfortunately so would need to add either a new Play:1 or ONE to one of the ones I already have.
Ah, sorry I didn't realize you had the two different speakers. It's actually Play 1 and Sonos One. I believe that the pair is worth it personally, of either speaker.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
I have a pair of Play:1s in my living room. The sounds is very good, but the bass is a little lacking. A SUB is on my list of things to buy when I have a little bit more expendable cash!
Compared to a single Play:1 the sound is richer, clarity seems a little better and the stereo separation adds so much for me I can't recommend it enough.
Badge +3
I have a pair of Play:1s in my living room. The sounds is very good, but the bass is a little lacking. A SUB is on my list of things to buy when I have a little bit more expendable cash!
Compared to a single Play:1 the sound is richer, clarity seems a little better and the stereo separation adds so much for me I can't recommend it enough.

Hi, i think for the size and money they are great "little speakers". The concern i have is that being used to the current setup (Cyrus, PSB, DAC etc) i may be sacrificing too much of the sound quality for some additional convenience. I may have to get a single Sonos ONE and audition it with my existing one and see what it is like. Thanks.
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
A Play:1 pair is the bang for the buck champ in the Sonos lineup. I have a pair in my kitchen, and the sound just surprises me constantly. Mine have a small advantage as they're in small alcoves (18x12x12") so I get enough bass, for a kitchen at least.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
For comparison, I have some KEF Q7 floorstanders driven by Cambridge pre and power amps and the pair of Play 1's are not an unfair comparison once the lack of low end has been accounted for. There was a user active on here called Kumar and he reckoned that a pair of Play:1s plus a SUB could hold it's own against traditional hifi at several times the cost.

If you can get to a decent retailer, you should be able to have a listen to a few setups. I also understand that if you buy direct from Sonos you get a several week no quibble returns policy.
Badge +3
For comparison, I have some KEF Q7 floorstanders driven by Cambridge pre and power amps and the pair of Play 1's are not an unfair comparison once the lack of low end has been accounted for. There was a user active on here called Kumar and he reckoned that a pair of Play:1s plus a SUB could hold it's own against traditional hifi at several times the cost.

If you can get to a decent retailer, you should be able to have a listen to a few setups. I also understand that if you buy direct from Sonos you get a several week no quibble returns policy.

Thanks, interesting to hear. Yeah i have seen some of the old posts. I think Sonos give a 100 day return policy if you buy direct so this might be an option. To be honest i am selling a Cyrus CD player which should get me enough for a pair of ONE's anyway. Might just take the plunge and if it doesn't work out then hey ho. I will always find another room for them!!
Badge +3
Just an update for anybody that cares. Managed to borrow another ONE and do some testing as a stereo pair and with 2 units in one room. The Sonos kit is great, especially for the cost and size etc but I’m afraid compared to my existing Cyrus/PSB setup there is no comparison. Maybe I shouldn’t have expected there to be. The ONE’s are great for what they are but I will not be replacing my main system with them.
I think it is fair to say that the Sonos Ones or Play 1 duo was only going to compete against higher end speakers if you included a Sub in the set up.
After a redecoration I moved a pair of KEF Q5's / Denon hi-fi out of my living room into another room. On Saturday I bought a couple of Sonos Ones to put in their place.

I'm actually quite pleased with the result, Yes, they'll never compete against the previous set up, but I only wanted them for evening listening at low volumes (~30%) when the kids go to bed and they sound surprisingly good. Even the bass is quite remarkable for their size (they struggled with a few tracks but on others they were amazing).
Badge +3
I think it is fair to say that the Sonos Ones or Play 1 duo was only going to compete against higher end speakers if you included a Sub in the set up.

Yes agreed. But in all honesty the bass is only part of the story. Treble and mids and just general dynamics and detail etc, there is a big difference. Anyway, don't get me wrong i love the Sonos kit and it serves its purpose in my house in many rooms. It just won't be my main system for the moment.
Badge +3
After a redecoration I moved a pair of KEF Q5's / Denon hi-fi out of my living room into another room. On Saturday I bought a couple of Sonos Ones to put in their place.

I'm actually quite pleased with the result, Yes, they'll never compete against the previous set up, but I only wanted them for evening listening at low volumes (~30%) when the kids go to bed and they sound surprisingly good. Even the bass is quite remarkable for their size (they struggled with a few tracks but on others they were amazing).

I actually find the bass one of the most impressive things about the Sonos kit, particularly the Play:1 and ONE units. Nice and low for the size and i don't feel it is lacking for the music i listen to.