Question

Play Five vs Sonos Five differences

• 9 May 2020
  • 4 replies

Badge

Hey. Hope you’re all well. I bought a Sonos Play Five a month ago and I’m loving the quality of it - however I was a little annoyed when the newly rebranded Sonos Five was announced so soon after buying the Play 5. Apart from more storage and the new radio feature in the newer model, will there be any noticeable differences to the sound between the old and new and would it be beneficial to buy the newer model? Thanks 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

According to Sonos and indeed the Verge review, the sound is the same.

In terms of audio quality, Sonos says the Sonos Five offers an identical listening experience to that of the Play:5.

The changes were to the computing platform and some external cosmetics.

I, too, recently purchased two Play 5s.  Love them.   I was also surprised, sadly, by this new Five announcement.  I’m curious (concerned) as to how long Sonos plans to support its Play 5 Gen 2 speakers.   I had to recently retire my gen 1 due to lack of ongoing Sonos support, which is the reason I upgraded to Play 5 Gen 2 earlier this year.  Thank you. 

I, too, recently purchased two Play 5s.  Love them.   I was also surprised, sadly, by this new Five announcement.  I’m curious (concerned) as to how long Sonos plans to support its Play 5 Gen 2 speakers.   I had to recently retire my gen 1 due to lack of ongoing Sonos support, which is the reason I upgraded to Play 5 Gen 2 earlier this year.  Thank you. 

Guaranteed 5 years from last date of manufacture.  However, the original 32 MB devices were supported for 15 years, some of them for a decade+ after last manufacture.  Given the Play:5 Gen 2 has 8 times as much RAM/storage, I think you can plan on more than 5 years and not be disappointed. 

Awesome.  Good to hear.  Thank you.  As I said, love my Play 5s gen 2.