Play:3 adequate for TSF, or Play:5?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

36 replies

Ditto on this - really wish you could have a beam and 4 Ones - BAM, instant true surround with stereo separation

I don't think it will happen like this. If it does, I imagine we'll see a new center channel speaker plus a box that takes in HDMI-ARC and communicates to 5 or more other speakers. This could also increase sales as it makes it a good solution for projector setups.
Badge +7
OK, folks... 2nd P:3 arrived today. Stereo paired 3s sound is likely going to do this specific room more justice than the single P:5. That much was likely obvious, but what I didn't expect is the richness from the 2 x P:3 that I'm hearing. The 2nd P:3 still has a bit of a break-in period, as its counterpart has been in my arsenal for awhile and already sounds far more mature. I suspect once the former catches up to the latter, we'll have a winner.

Now, to consider Flexson floor stands instead of the bookshelves where they currently reside... perhaps simply aesthetic, any thoughts?

Does the madness ever end?! 😳

Now, to consider Flexson floor stands instead of the bookshelves where they currently reside... perhaps simply aesthetic, any thoughts?

Is there nothing else on the shelves? Would you move shelves if you didn't use them for speakers? If yes, than replacing the shelves with stands does improve the look in my opinion. I can't say that they will change the sound much, unless it also means a change in speaker location.

I use the sanus stands for a pair of play:1s located on either side of a couch. The side tables are a little small to hold the speakers and typical side table stuff, so the stands made sense. Also hides the power cord well.

Does the madness ever end?! :$

Not unless you want it to! But with that in mind, it may be best to spread out your purchase a little bit more. to enjoy the 'shopping experience' a little longer? I'm at a point where I really can't buy much more...and it's a little sad.
Badge +7
Hey, Danny... I can't come up with any good reason the 3's HAVE to be on stands, just that I agree they look better.

It would bring them a bit lower, and that might make a difference. But otherwise, to answer your questions... there isn't anything else on the shelves besides some decorative bookends, and those can be placed just about anywhere. If the shelves were not hosting the 3s, they would most definitely be moved.

I hear you on spacing things out over time, which is more or less what I've done. The 2nd 3 was my last purchase and prior to that was the Sub, the latter of which was my "major" addition for the year. At this point, I can see taking an interest in the proposed Symfonisk to see what's into them. But that will be obviously a far more agreeable fiscal decision if it happens.
Userlevel 7
Lowing speakers to ear level when seated can make a difference. However if all you are concerned about is filling the room with sound then no worries.

If the speakers when on shelves are recessed with objects to left and right (or enclosed in a pocket) placing them on stands may open things up a bit. However having the speakers on shelves with a closed back can improve the low end. I’d make sure to bring them forward as much as possible with out fear of them vibrating off.

You’d really have to experiment with positioning to make an informed Decision. True play is a value tool.

Cheers!
Badge +7
True Play will indeed be used. Those tone boxes on sonos.com are sexy, but alas another investment.

I'm half-kidding about the impulsivity here, as my self-discipline thankfully will reign supreme. It's what prevents me from having 3 Subs like you! 😉
I can vouch for the quality of the Flexson stands for PLAY:3s, they're great. Got a pair in my bedroom.

I'm half-kidding about the impulsivity here, as my self-discipline thankfully will reign supreme. It's what prevents me from having 3 Subs like you! ;)

Absolutely nothing wrong with having 3 subs! I only wish I had a realistic spot for sub #4.
Badge +7

I'm half-kidding about the impulsivity here, as my self-discipline thankfully will reign supreme. It's what prevents me from having 3 Subs like you! ;)

Absolutely nothing wrong with having 3 subs! I only wish I had a realistic spot for sub #4.

I know, just ribbing you. If you have the space and the budget, why not? Cheers!
Userlevel 7
I’d have sub number 4 if it weren’t for HER as it would be in the bedroom ?

I also have Play 3’s on Flexson stands. The last stands I purchased were Sanus height adjustable stands which came with specific mounts for the Sonos One, Play One and Play 3. The latter two having the same screw mounts as the Flexsons. Saved a few bucks with the Sanus stands and have been very pleased.

If you type Sanus in the community search you should find my review ?

Cheers!
Badge +7
Had previously come across your Sanus review, which was helpful. Scored an open box Sanus pair last night, not adjustable but I don't need them to be. 1/2 off retail was plenty enough motivation to go simple/cheaper. Believe they'll fit the bill.