Pioneer SX-535 to Five or Port

• 17 March 2021
  • 2 replies

Hello everyone. I am in the final stages of determining my future Sonos system. Last bit is trying to include my Pioneer SX-535 receiver and Pioneer PL-530 turntable. I believe all I need to do is connect the receiver using the Headphone Out (front located) and into either the Port or Five. Please let me know if this all makes sense.

I am leaning towards the Five because it allows yet another speaker in the home for just a little more cost than the Port, and utilizing the 3.5mm in. I do not have any speakers connected to the receiver. I really want to be able to connect the turntable, radio, and old tapes to Sonos. Will the Five still continue to play even if the receiver is off?

I do have some speakers outside that I could connect the Receiver too and utilize the Port, but with a small t.v. outside, I think a cheap separate receiver for that location would likely be best at the moment until a proper AMP/Sonos Outdoor Speaker can be purchased.

Thanks for your time everyone,

-Adam

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Rather than using the headphone out (troublesome, because it is a variable output), I’d use one of the Tape Outs. Since you mention you have a tape deck, you’d probably want to use the Tape 2 out, and connect that to the line in on the Five. It would be a line level input, and would require much less fiddling, or even potential for blowing out the line in on the Sonos.

No, nothing would come through if the receiver was “off”. It needs to be powered on in order to pass the music from any connected device through to the Sonos. The Sonos speaker, however, would still be able to stream music from other sources, there just wouldn’t be anything coming in on the line in. But all the streaming sources would still be working just fine. 

Thank you for the very detailed reply Bruce! I had not considered that the receiver had a tape out on it. I think this is going to be the best option to utilize a vintage setup into the new Sonos. I will go forward with the Five and utilize a brilliant speaker in the room. Thank you!