Question

Pairing two Play:5 with a shared line-in source

• 13 November 2017
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 2
Hi
Is it possible to pair two Play:5 speakers and have one connect to the line in source and have it shared to the other Play:5?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

If they are a stereo pair then the line in automatically plays through both, like every other source. If they are not paired then you can choose the line in as the source for either speaker. If you want both to play in sync, group them.

In short, line in is just another source.
Userlevel 7
Just one more add to John B's sage advice. This works as I have the setup at home with my Play 5's (2nd Gen) in stereo pair...

You can have different line-in sources to each speaker. I have Google Chrome Cast Audio on my right speaker as line-in and CD player on my Left speaker as line-in. However, you cannot select both line-in sources simultaneously. Sweet!
Just one more add to John B's sage advice. This works as I have the setup at home with my Play 5's (2nd Gen) in stereo pair...

You can have different line-in sources to each speaker. I have Google Chrome Cast Audio on my right speaker as line-in and CD player on my Left speaker as line-in. However, you cannot select both line-in sources simultaneously. Sweet!

The last line here is not strictly true (although I realise the point you were trying to get across) ...you can, for example, play the google chrome audio (line-in) on say a Play-1 speaker located in the kitchen and at the same time you could play the CD player (line-in) on a Play-1 in the bedroom... you just can’t play both sources in the same 'Sonos Room'.

I just thought it prudent to clarify this point ...and I do accept this may also be subject to the autoplay room settings being configured correctly in the line-in setup.
Userlevel 7
The last line here is not strictly true (although I realise the point you were trying to get across) ...you can, for example, play the google chrome audio (line-in) on say a Play-1 speaker located in the kitchen and at the same time you could play the CD player (line-in) on a Play-1 in the bedroom...

I agree as long as the Play 5's are not in Stereo Pair which is what I believe (stereo pair) is what the OP was asking about and was the basis for my comment. Your solution if I'm not mistaken would require breaking the Stereo pair and Grouping the play 5's as separates with a speaker in another room. (i.e. First Play 5 grouped to room A / Second Play 5 grouped to room 😎. However, in Stereo pair from my experience if the user has a different source per line-in on each speaker they must decide on one line-in source.

Then there's the possibility that I'm interpreting your comment incorrectly :? Cheers!
Even when stereo paired, both line-ins can be used as a source for any and all Sonos rooms. For example, if you have a turntable on the left Play:5 line-in, a Chromecast on the right Play:5 line-in, and a Play:1 in another room, you can play the turntable on the Play:5 pair and the Chromecast on the Play:1.
Userlevel 7
Even when stereo paired, both line-ins can be used as a source for any and all Sonos rooms. For example, if you have a turntable on the left Play:5 line-in, a Chromecast on the right Play:5 line-in, and a Play:1 in another room, you can play the turntable on the Play:5 pair and the Chromecast on the Play:1.

OK...learn something new everyday. I'll have to try that. However, I assume that only works if one of the line-in sources is a ChromeCast or Alexa Dot and not both hardware sourced such as a turntable and CD player. Right :?
No, the source can be any analog source. The line-in doesn't know what it is connected to, only that it is an analog source.
Just as an example, I have two Play-5's in my lounge, set up as a stereo pair. One speaker has an Airport Express as a line-in source for connecting AirPlay devices (iPad Apple Music etc.) and the other has my Home Theatre plugged into it.

I can use both line-in's at the same time.. so I am able to play Apple Music via AE in the Kitchen (A pair of Play-1 speakers, also set as a stereo pair) and I can also then get sound from the Home Theatre source, which I can play on any other available Sonos Room that is not in use... so for example the Dining Room, Lounge, Bedroom, Bathroom etc.

And (obviously) that includes rooms that are 'grouped' with the playing rooms.

I can confirm this does work, I have just tested it a few moments ago... there is no need to break the Play-5 stereo pair to play both line-in sources simultaneously.

If you do find that come across a different result with your own speaker setup, it maybe your 'Autoplay Room' settings need changing in the line-in settings.
Userlevel 7
Thanks!
I think the following sums up the whole situation:

Each line in source in the system can be used exactly as any other source.