Pairing 2 Sonos One speakers with Sonos Play 5

• 2 July 2018
  • 3 replies

Hi guys, in a few weeks we will be moving to our new built apartment. In the living room and open kitchen the electrician has built in 2 wall sockets high in the corner of the two connecting rooms in order to have 2 Sonos One speakers on wall mounts. As we already have a Sonos Play 5 (1st gen) I would like to pair the 2 Sonos One speakers (not yet bought) to the Play 5 speaker. Will this work? And if so, is the combined speakerset strong enough to cover both rooms? (I also have a Sonos Play 3 but ideally I am gonna use this one in another room).

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

It will work, but technically speaking, the Sonos Ones would be a pair by themselves. You cannot semi-permanently pair or bond the Play:5 to them. You can group the two rooms/zones together though, which is why I said it will work.

Will it be enough? That really depends on the size of the space and your personal preference. Personally, I really like stereo pairs, over single speakers. I might consider getting a 2nd Play:5 or Play:3 to pair with what I already have.
Many thanks melvimbe! Reg. the total size of the space: approx 9 x 7 mtrs. The ceiling is about 2.45 mtrs. I don't plan to throw parties in the apartment, but would like to enjoy Spotify (and later on Airplay2) to the max.
Because you want to use airplay2, I think getting the pair of Sonos Ones is the way to go. Your play:3 and play:5 gen 1 won't work with airplay2 by itself. If you find it's not enough, you can return them or maybe use 1 or both in a different room, so that you still have airplay2 compatibility.