Pair of sonance in ceiling with play5 in livingroom for music

• 6 June 2022
  • 1 reply

Badge
  • Contributor II
  • 2 replies

I currently have one play5 in my living room for listening to music. I would like more room filling music, so I would like to get a pair of in-ceiling sonance speakers with an amp.

I enjoy the play5 and would like to keep it in the same room with the sonance. Would that work well?

if I could add another play5, I would, but do not have the space. Also thought about the ikea symphonix picture frames, but my wife thinks they are ugly. 😂

I really just want more even sound through the living space which is open to the kitchen, foyer and dining room too. I don’t necessarily want full sound in the adjacent rooms, just be able to hear it as background.

There is a TV in the living room, but it’s not really the TV used for watching movies, gaming, ect. We already have a gameroom TV with a full surround arc setup with sub that is fantastic. Don’t need another one.

Any thoughts or alternatives welcome.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @jpro 

Welcome to the Sonos Community! I’ll get the ball rolling - I’m sure there’s more advice on the way.

As space is a concern, a Sonos Five and a couple of wall mounts is a good option - just mount both speakers near the ceiling, out of the way. This would be cheaper than buying an Amp and two Sonance speakers. As your Play:5 is in fact a Sonos Five, you would be able to create a stereo pair with the speakers, or group them so that they play together, but each plays it’s own stereo. Also, you would need to get power to the speakers, which will probably add to the cost (shorter and longer power cables are available from sonos.com, for whether you install power sockets near the speakers or not).

Should you go for the Amp and in-ceiling speaker option, you will also be able to group the Amp with the existing Five for synchronised playback - this is the whole point of getting Sonos (apart from the excellent sound quality, of course).

You may also want to show your wife what people have done with the Ikea Lamps on Pinterest or Reddit - with a little modification, they can be made to look however you want. With Sonos App support, the Ikea Symfonisk range is also able to play in sync with Sonos devices.

If it’s a larger space, you may even want to look into wall-mounting multiple Sonos One SLs instead of a single additional Five - they can all be grouped.

I hope this helps, or at least gives you some ideas.