Answered

pack surround, sonos 5 and turntable

• 5 June 2021
  • 3 replies

Hello,

I’m considering to get sonos equipment for home theater (beam + 2 one SL as rear speakers + sub).

I have a turntable that I want to be able to listen on this system.

Instead of buying a port, I consider buying a sonos 5 on wich you can plug an external source.

—————————————————

TV

sub    beam            sonos5 turntable

couch

oneSL       oneSL

—————————————————

My question is, if everything is in the same room, will I be able to listen my records on every speakers at the same time (sonos 5 would « send » music on every other devices) ?

If so, do you know how stereo will be rendered ?

thank you for your help

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 5 June 2021, 17:44

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

The Sonos Five or PLAY:5 is set up as a different ‘room’ in the Sonos software, it doesn’t matter where it is physically, as long as it is in WiFi range. 

When playing the line in, your turntable, you would just group the two ‘rooms’ together, and the turntable would play in all speakers.

The Beam would provide a normal right and left signal out of its right and left speakers, the surrounds, depending on how you have the settings in the controller set, will either provide ambient support, or full stereo signals. 

Thank you Bruce for your helpfull answer.

And if one day I move my turntable and sonos 5 into another (physical) room (room 1) and I have my surround in room 2, do you confirm that I will be able to listen to my records in :

• Room 1 on sonos 5
  • Room 1 and 2 (as you explained)
  • Room 2 only (surrounds system only) ?

Thank you

You can not play anything to the surrounds only. When they’re ‘bonded’ to the Beam, they’re part of a single room, and any signal will be sent to all of that room, so it will include the surrounds and the Beam. 

But yes, the way the line in works in the Sonos controller you can choose which room it plays to. So, while I the line in is physically in the PLAY:5 or Sonos Five cabinet, you can choose to not have it play on that speaker, but send it to any room in your Sonos system. Or, you can have it play on that speaker (room) and group any other room with it.