Outdoor non-bluetooth TV / Sonos question

• 24 March 2022
  • 3 replies

We are about to do an outdoor TV / audio set up. I just want to verify what I’ve learn and hopefully get some people’s input here.

From what I’ve gathered…

Option 1 - It sounds like we can either get a television that is bluetooth capable and then pair that with whichever individual speakers we would like.. correct?

Option 2 - We can get a non-bluetooth TV and a Sonos sound-bar.  Then additional speakers will connect via the soundbar.

Any suggestions here?  Is my thinking correct?  Anyone have input as the best way to go in utilizing Sonos for an outdoor television set up?

Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

I would personally use a Sonos Amp in a weather-proof enclosure and attach that to two outdoor speakers …and either link it to the TV over HDMI, or optical and even add a second Amp and/or Sub,  if you want 5.0/5.1 surround sound (phantom front/center channel) for the TV cinema output and additional speakers for music.

I would personally use a Sonos Amp in a weather-proof enclosure and attach that to two outdoor speakers …and either link it to the TV over HDMI, or optical and even add a second Amp and/or Sub,  if you want 5.0/5.1 surround sound (phantom front/center channel) for the TV cinema output and additional speakers for music.

Agree with the above, but there is no need for an enclosure if you can place the amp(s) indoors and wire out to the TV and outdoor speakers (HDMI cable and speaker wire) fairly easily.  That was the case for me.

I’d also say that in many cases, creating a home theatre with surrounds isn’t really needed for an outdoor environment.  It’s not even as necessary that the audio comes from the direction of the TV, IMO.  Focus more on coverage of the outdoor space. In my case, for example, I have 2 pair of speakers connected to a single amp, and one TV connected to the amp.  Speakers are not located to left/right of the TV as you traditional would.  Speakers are there much more for music than TV.

The SONOS soundbars are not rated for outdoor use.