Answered

One vs SL

• 14 April 2020
  • 5 replies

I have the beam (just got it) so far really good. I’m wanting to get a couple rear speakers and was curious which of these two to get. Only difference is the voice control. I may also use these to take out side etc for the near future. Only 50 bucks difference surrently 

tha k you 

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 14 April 2020, 20:14

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

If you want to use the speakers as rear surround with the beam, then the setup will require the mics to be turned off.   Thus you won’t be able to use the mics on the One in that configuration.  Also, the speakers will be bonded to the Beam, meaning that they need to be in the same room as the beam to connect wirelessly without issue (using 5.0 Ghz instead of 2.4 Ghz)  and therefore, wouldn’t make very good speakers to take outside.

The Move is actually excellent for taking outside, as it has some waterproofing, battery, and can connect by WiFi or Bluetooth if WiFi coverage doesn’t work for outside.

Thanks for the quick response. I do appreciate it. I just stumbled upon the Sonos at my Costco and read some great things about them. I was looking at a short term solution for outside until I got the move. Thought I could isolate the one’s and run music through them. 

Thanks for the quick response. I do appreciate it. I just stumbled upon the Sonos at my Costco and read some great things about them. I was looking at a short term solution for outside until I got the move. Thought I could isolate the one’s and run music through them. 

You can unbond them and use them in a pinch, but the bonding/unbonding process would get tiring after a while if you need to do it often.  You can also leave them bonded, and set the surrounds to “Full” for music sources.  The Beam will still play, but you will get full sound from the surrounds.  

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Just to piggy-back on this:  if the only difference between the Ones and the SLs are the presence of mics (is that correct?), I’m wondering whether purchasing the Ones makes more sense from a re-sell perspective? I personally have no use for smart speakers (I’m still a bit weirded out by the idea of having a live mic in my apartment); so I would personally leave the mics off. But I can imagine that if I’m ever in a position where I want to resell the speakers, the market for smart speakers would be much wider. Is that a fair assumption?

Yes, the only difference is the microphone. As to the size of the second hand market for both, your guess is as good, or perhaps better than ours.