Answered

One vs. Play1

• 13 July 2018
  • 7 replies

Hi everyone. What are the cons by getting two "One" as stereo set instead of a "One" and a "Play1" as a stereo set? I think there is some money to save and I suppose that you only can use voice control with one of them? 🙂
icon

Best answer by Kumar 13 July 2018, 15:29

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

You can only pair identical models as a stereo pair; a One and a Play 1 will not pair.
You can only pair identical models as a stereo pair; a One and a Play 1 will not pair. Thank you, I didn't know that. The voice feature isn't avalible in Denmark, so I think it's difficult to choose between the two models. I've heard that the sound is equal between the "One" and "Play" 🙂
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Play 1 also does NOT support Airplay 2.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
The One has newer tech inside compared to the Play:1. So as new software features and updates come out, the One is much more likely to support it than the Play:1. Airplay 2 being a perfect example. So for the extra money, I think it's a better investment to get the One's instead.
The sound is pretty much identical. If you are fine with the excellent 1 units as they presently are for non voice controlled music play, a pair of them at the discounted deals available for them make them excellent value. I find much of the software adds to be gimmicks, but that is a personal and subjective view.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
The sound is pretty much identical. If you are fine with the excellent 1 units as they presently are for non voice controlled music play, a pair of them at the discounted deals available for them make them excellent value. I find much of the software adds to be gimmicks, but that is a personal and subjective view.
I see where you're coming from. I have 2 Play:1's and I still love them, sound amazing, and are amazing value.

However, I have the playbase, and personally I find Airplay 2 very handy. Sitting at my MacBook browsing music on the iTunes store through the tiny speaker, when I realized I can just instantly stream it to my Sonos! Couldn't do that before, had to buy the song and run it through the Sonos app.

And who knows what other features may come out in the future that only the newer hardware can handle.
I personally am avoiding buying a play:1 in the future, accept for use as surround sounds with a beam. In that scenario, the Sonos One really has little value over a Play:1, except that it has greater potential if I want to repurpose it to another room some day. It's a judgement call when it comes to using them as surrounds with a playbar or playbase. If you don't need voice control right now, it may be smarter to wait for a hypothetical playbar or playbase 2.0 with built in voice. Then again the cost difference is not that much and these hypothetical 2.0 playbar/playbase may not have enough other new features that makes it worth replacing your 1.0...it's a judgement call.