Question

on phone play music

Just like to say you can easily play music from your iPhone on air play simple if you have .. was pissed when realised on phone ability to play music had gone 😁

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Just like to say you can easily play music from your iPhone on air play simple if you have .. was pissed when realised on phone ability to play music had gone 😁
It’s really of little consequence in your particular case, as you have a 'Sonos One' Speaker with built in Airplay-2 so you can just play your music from your iPhone/iPad etc. direct, using the built in Apple iOS Airplay feature.
Ok I’d be as pissed as I was yesterday then when hadn’t sussed can use air play instead of on the phone 👍🏻 It’s a joke they can take something like that away without permission !!
If you read the relevant thread you will see that it has been done reluctantly, for technical reasons and bearimg in mind the available alternatives for plsying locally-stored content.

But that has been debated to death elsewhere many times over.

Glad you reslised you had an easy slternative.
Badge +2
so, u want to play music on your phone
to a room that has an older sonos product?
easy peas? no awkward as hell imo-
walk thru this with me-

after u purchase a new sonos player that supports airplay2 - u first direct sonos to that new player, THEN u use the music control on the iphone to play to it, THEN u group the older player to the new sonos, THEN your turn down the audio on the new player- since u r not in that room.

both awkward and clumbsy

oh, i guess u can purchase all new players,
or u can pay apple a monthly fee to put your music library on their cloud, THEN use apple music service to play it in the home on your older players.

a costly alternatve to play music on your phone
that u have relied on for years

your product managers are wimps for letting development bamboozle u into such a lazy direction.

it will always be a valued feature, and will be missed.
Big Yawn...!

Alternatively...
  1. Upload own music to Google Play and play all for free through the Sonos App GP Service. or...
  2. Put own music on android device and play all for free through the ‘on this device’ feature. or...
  3. Put own music on Network PC/MAC and play all for free through the ‘Sonos Library’ feature. or..
  4. Put own music on Network NAS/USB drive and play all for free through the ‘Sonos Library’ feature.
Just 4 things from quite long list of things, that could be used as an alternative.
Badge +2
😱

android OS COULD make it work on their
phones with SONOS

but development couldn't muster up the
talent to make it work from an iphone

4 shame...
😱

phones with SONOS

4 shame...

Totally misguided comment. Android OS required no change. Sonos changed nothing on the Android app. IOS changed. Please pay attention.
😱

phones with SONOS

4 shame...

SInce you are such an obvious wealth of SE talent, why don't you tell us how to do it on iOS? Please supply detailed code samples.
Badge +2
thanks john B for that bit of info
so,...apple makes a change. doesnt affect android os/ phones; but kills iphone local music play functionality on your existing sonos players.

imo- still doesnt make any sense to your installed base.

sorry jgate, not gonna take your bait
Badge +2
by your own admission -
“This is not Sonos' doing, a change in iOS caused the feature to become unstable. They have tried for much of a year to fix it, but were unable to do so“

so what did android os do right here?
It also affected a company called Bluesound, who ended up doing the same thing, i.e. restricting the ability to play music stored on an iOS device. Possibly there are others, who leveraged the same process.

As near as I can tell, Apple closed the ability for an iOS device to act as a NAS, causing the device to cut connections from outside the OS when the device “sleeps”. Android has not cut off this ability, yet.

Since the Sonos system uses a player program that runs on the speakers, the controller app is merely reporting data changes on the speakers, and not actually “playing” the music itself. So when the screen locks or the device goes to “sleep”, all outside connections are dropped, including the data stream to the speakers. If the player was on the phone as part of iOS, rather than on the speakers, then the connection wouldn’t drop, since it would be purely internal, which is why you can use Apple’s music player to feed your headphones, even when the screen locks or the device goes”sleep”.

What I don’t know is if Apple did this as a power saving thrust, or as a device security concern, or some combination of both.....or for some other reason. Apple hasn’t explained the reasons for this change in any forums that I’ve seen.
Badge +2
thank u bruce for that very clear response.
indeed a sad turn of events. that feature will be
missed by many. m
Indeed, I certainly agree. And doubly so because so many people take the assumption that it is Sonos’ fault. And I assume there was equal backlash at Bluesound, although I don’t frequent their boards.

It is, however, the nature of software, this constant change, as companies try to optimize for their own strategy for success. And the price we pay for having speakers that are controlled by an inboard computer.

At the very least, I am pleased that there are so many other options available, which require a little mental energy to change my habits, but still provide me the opportunity to use my iOS device as a controller. I would have been really sore if Apple had blocked that part as well.
Indeed, I certainly agree. And doubly so because so many people take the assumption that it is Sonos’ fault. And I assume there was equal backlash at Bluesound, although I don’t frequent their boards.

I haven't looked on the Bluesound forums often, but I don't think they have the sales to build up an active forum, an I'm not sure they allow open, potentially negative, discussion the way Sonos does. Overall, I'd say it's a little difficult to tell what Bluesound customers think of the change, at least when using their forums as a resource.
Badge +2
Yeah, I see there are options but...
  • At the more elegant end they are costly and require some mental energy & possibly support to make work.
  • many of my customers are elderly. they like what they like. they are truly pissed that they have to sign up for ANOTHER service and convert. some of them don't eve use iTunes on a PC. They use the iCloud to backup their phone. They have been buy songs off of the itunes store download them to the phone and play them from their phone. until now...
With that said, I can see why Android OS built-in the ability to stream from the phone- in the background-
even when the phone interface is closed. However, I can't fathom why Apple wouldn't have done the same. I would think there are many other Apps that would need to take advantage of this functionality and stay running when the phone is in stand by. You have said it is so.. just hard to believe.
Badge +2
has development considered using the AirMusic app u can put on your iphone to stream itunes music to any DLNA complaint device?

can sonos be a DLNA target?

i was just streaming my iphone local music thru AirMusic to my receiver without issue.

would this work? if not, why not?