Old Sonos system upgrade

• 26 December 2021
  • 11 replies

Hello,

I’ve had a Sonos System since 2015.  I have the Playbar, 2 x Play 3’s and a Bridge.  I am unable to connect to my TV even through the optical cable so I am about to upgrade (taking advantage of the current upgrade discounts), but am unclear whether I will need to replace the Bridge with a Boost.  I have an up-to-date Netgear/Orbi home WiFi network which works very well.  I’m guessing I can connect to this instead of needing to use a Boost????  I will be upgrading to an ARC and 2 x ONE SL’s (or maybe 2 x ONE’s).  I have an LG TV with Dolby Atmos which is only 3-4 years old.  Can anyone tell me if the ARC and ONE / ONE SLs will all play TV and produce a surround sound style experience?  (My old system never really worked well with the TV as there was slight lag on the sound which could not be completely cured with the TV adjustments). Can I then move the ONE/ONE SL speakers around to play music in other areas of the house as an when needed?  Is the only difference between the ONE and the ONE SL the Alexa/Google voice control?

Sorry to be so dim but I have never really understood how to use it all properly and I’m getting a bit long in the tooth now so need a little help and guidance if possible.

Thanks

Riman

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Your Bridge will be worthless once you add an Arc, as you will need to update all of your Sonos gear to S2, which is not compatible with the Bridge.

Your Orbi system might be good enough, be sure to read this when setting it up:

If the Orbi doesnt work then use your 30% discount from your Bridge to buy a Boost.

Many thanks for the help.  I have just looked at the FAQ and frightened myself to (almost) death.  I think I will just buy a Boost and be done with it.  Sorry to ask but do you know if the new Boost will simply plug and play if I just connect it in place of the bridge or will it need to be configured.  This would be beyond my limited abilities.  (I’ve always had an I.T. guy set up my home systems up until my retirement).

Many Thanks

Riman

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Many thanks for the help.  I have just looked at the FAQ and frightened myself to (almost) death.  I think I will just buy a Boost and be done with it.  Sorry to ask but do you know if the new Boost will simply plug and play if I just connect it in place of the bridge or will it need to be configured.  This would be beyond my limited abilities.  (I’ve always had an I.T. guy set up my home systems up until my retirement).

Many Thanks

Riman

Plug the Boost into your router, then in the app do Add New Product and configure the Boost. When  that is all done, unplug the Bridge and verify everything is still fine.

Before you add the Arc I would recommend you update the whole system to S2. Take things slow. We are here to help.

Thank you so much.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

If you are using the Play 3’s as surrounds there’s no need to replace them. They are S2 capable.

Thanks 106rallye.  Is that ALL Play 3’s?  Mine are 2015 models.  Would be great if they are compatible.

All are, yes. 

Thank you so much Bruce.  What about the Playbar? is that S2 compatible as well?  I’m thinking that it could be only the Bridge which is NOT compatible.

Thanks

Riman

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You could try this. The Playbar is S2 compatible too:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4786

Yes. I ran two PLAYBARS on S2 before I finally upgraded them. 

Thank you very much Bruce.  You have been a great help.

Riman