Answered

Newbie Q

• 12 November 2018
  • 6 replies

Badge
could I output the sound from a MacBook Pro wirelessly via a Connect to an amp whilst watching the movie via an HDMI connection tp an outdoor projector?
icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 12 November 2018, 11:35

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Not over wireless, you could get audio out from the laptop to the line-in on the 'Connect' perhaps, if you have the ports/cable to do that, but even then, I very much doubt the audio will be in sync with the movie on screen, unless you just happened to 'drop lucky' in that regard.

If you had an AirPlay2 supported Sonos device that you could 'group' with, or use in place of, the Sonos Connect ...and the App on the MacBook Pro playing the movie also supported Airplay2 ...then you might stand a slightly better chance of achieving lip-sync, and doing it all over wireless, but you would really need to try it to see if the audio/video syncs together.

Sonos Airplay2 supported devices:
Play 5: (gen2)
Sonos One
Beam
PlayBase
New Sonos Amp (not yet released)
Badge
Thank you very much Ken
Badge
So a Playbase connected to a TV elsewhere and a Connect (in the same network) wired to an Rotel amp with speakers might be a goer if I use an Airplay 2 supported app on the Mac?
acalpin,

Yes, play the audio-out from the movie over AirPlay to the PlayBase (you can mute the PlayBase in the Sonos App if you prefer that) ... group the PlayBase with the Connect in the Sonos App 'Rooms' Tab and the Connect will play the audio to your receiver/amp. Hopefully it will sync with the video-out to your projector, although I can’t guarantee that it will lip-sync, as there are a couple of external factors etc. but it may work.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The Connect itself can't get the Airplay2 signal. You have to have one of the above devices playing in connectin. So you could send the sound to a Sonos One that is grouped with the connect and that would work.

Or power the speakers with the new Sonos Amp and you can send the Airplay2 signal direct to the speakers.
Badge
Thanks very much to both of you