Answered

Newbie New Construction Help

• 15 August 2019
  • 4 replies

Hello,
I am currently building a home and would like to use Sonos as the brains of my audio for the home. I need some guidance as to what products I should be purchasing and how I should be laying things out.
I will list the rooms, what type of speakers and what I hope to do with them. Originally I was thinking of wiring everything to one point in mech room and having an amp in the family room for tv. Not sure how many of each and what would be best for my use.
All help and input is appreciated!!

2nd Floor
Master Bathroom : In ceiling speaker (music only)
Master Bedroom : 2 in ceiling speakers to play music and possibly tv audio
Laundry Room : In ceiling speaker (music only)

1st Floor
Family room: Play bar plus in wall speakers for surround if possible
If I were to get an amp for this room would that amp have a delay when playing music from other sonos devices?

Kitchen (open concept to fam room): 2 in ceiling speakers (mostly music, maybe tv on rare occasions)

Dining Room/Living Room: 2 in ceiling speakers (one on each side)

Patio: 2 Wired patio speakers

Garage: If I have room on an amp or something I would put an in ceiling speaker
icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 22 August 2019, 15:03

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Am I making any incorrect assumptions?
can the Sonos amp be split into two rooms in setup for eg right channel is Room a) and left channel is Room b)
Userlevel 7
2nd Floor
Master Bathroom : In ceiling speaker (music only)
Master Bedroom : 2 in ceiling speakers to play music and possibly tv audio
Laundry Room : In ceiling speaker (music only)

Hi DenisKeezer, let's have a go at this....🙂

Master Bath
I'd opt for a Sonos One (w/Alexa) or Play 1 (no Alexa). Both are humidity resistant and will allow you to play music that is different from the Master Bedroom. Also, no amp is required so less expense.

Master Bedroom
A Beam and Play 1's would be my choice. However, if you want speakers that disappear I consider Sonos Architecture In-wall speakers mounted on either side of the TV. You'd use a Sonos Amp with HDMI_ARC or optical to play TV audio and of course music would be available.

Laundry Room
Assuming the laundry room is near by you could run a pair of in ceiling speakers off the same Sonos Amp. The audio would be whatever is being played in the Master Bedroom.

The alternative is to use a Sonos One or Play 1 to allow you to select your music. Here again no amp is required.

1st Floor
Family room: Play bar plus in wall speakers for surround if possible
If I were to get an amp for this room would that amp have a delay when playing music from other sonos devices?

Family Room
A Playbar would work. Here you would want in-ceiling speakers for surround positioned over the seating area. They would be powered by a Sonos Amp.

Delay From Other Sonos Devices
Here you are speaking of Grouping. There would be no delay when playing music as the Playbar is the main speaker. The surrounds powered by the amp are bonded to it. You could set the surrounds to act as FULL ON speakers when playing music and auto-switch back to surround mode after the music stops.

Kitchen (open concept to fam room): 2 in ceiling speakers (mostly music, maybe tv on rare occasions)

Dining Room/Living Room: 2 in ceiling speakers (one on each side)

Patio: 2 Wired patio speakers

Garage: If I have room on an amp or something I would put an in ceiling speaker

Kitchen
Requires a Sonos Amp. Speakers could be Grouped to Playbar for TV audio

Dining Room/Living Room
With only two speakers you could run them off the Sonos Amp powering the ones in the Kitchen; if you don't mind having the same music playing on both sets (pairs). Otherwise you would need another Sonos Amp

Patio
Requires Sonos/Sonance outdoor speakers with Sonos Amp.

Garage
Requires two in-ceiling speakers that could be run off the same amp powering the patio speakers. The music would be the same heard on both sets (pairs). The alternative is to use a Sonos One or Play:1 to be able to select your music independent of other speakers.

My Strongly Suggested Course of Action
You have a very ambitious project in mind. I recommend you consult a professional installer. There may be options to employ a 3rd party amp with zone capability and integrate Sonos Connects. Especially, so given that if you want to go ALL in-ceiling and in-wall you'll want some type of control in each area for volume.

Also, I based my recommendations on using ALL Sonos branded/supported gear. There are options to use 3rd party speakers (i.e. in-ceiling and in-wall).

Please post back with what you decide. We're here to help in anyway we can. Cheers!
Userlevel 7
Am I making any incorrect assumptions?
can the Sonos amp be split into two rooms in setup for eg right channel is Room a) and left channel is Room b)

Yes, you could do that it's called "Dual Mono Mode". You would not want to set it to stereo mode unless you want to miss material while in one area and not the other.😆

Cheers!
Thank you for your response! Very detailed and very appreciated.
I will post what I’ve wired and what changes I’ve made to my original plan.

Im open to the third party receivers with a connect but don’t have enough experience with them. (Connects)

Edit: I have had no luck with pro audio guys that I had brought in to potentially do the pre wiring and installs.