Answered

New to Sonos

• 24 February 2019
  • 1 reply

I'm interested in converting my existing system. I'm looking to have a 5.1 system in the family room, with the ability to add speakers in other rooms and outside (the patio is covered). To be honest, I'm a bit overwhelmed at all the different combinations and what I really need. I currently have a Yamaha receiver which my cable, apple TV and Blu Ray player are connected to providing one input source to the TV. The receiver has multi zone capability and I would like to retain that option going forward.

I would appreciate any help or guidance that could be provided.
icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 25 February 2019, 01:18

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Hi ccierpik

To set up a Sonos DD5.1 system you need one of the following two configurations

1. Playbar or Playbase using optical connection to your TV with Play 1 x 2 or Sonos One x 2 as surrounds and Sonos Sub
2. Beam using HDMI_ARC or optical connection to your TV with Play 1 x 2 as surrounds and Sonos Sub

Note: Sonos One and Beam have Alexa voice assistant built in. No need to use Sonos One’s with Beam

You can add Sonos speakers anywhere in your home and they can be Grouped together to play the same audio throughout your home. Leaving them un-grouped you can send different audio to each speaker or stereo pair.

You can bring your Yamaha receiver into the mix provided you have an available line-in or optical-in connection on it via the line-out or optical-out from a Sonos Connect. Any speakers connected to the Yamaha will play music sent by Sonos. The reverse is also possible if the Yamaha has an available Line-out to the Line-in of the Sonos Connect (i.e. send audio from a CD player or Turntable to Sonos speakers).

Other equipment required:
1. Router with 2.4GHz and 5Ghz channels
2. iOS or Android device

Please post back with additional questions, if you have them.

Cheers!