Answered

New Sonos Play 3: Worth Purchase Consideration

• 20 August 2019
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +8
I bought into Sonos earlier this year (in April) and been wanting to extend my system into other rooms.
I've been looking at additional Sonos One's, maybe Play1's and even considering the IKEA Bookshelf speakers.
Last night I came across some Sonos Play 3's for $229 each. That's only a little more than a Sonos One.
The Play 3's were already discontinued before I got into Sonos so i do not know anything about them.
Is that a good price and are they still a good buy considering their age and that they are discontinued.
Your thoughts?
icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 20 August 2019, 15:15

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Ravica3

The Play 3's are still supported by Sonos for updates and trouble shooting. The Play 3 was designed to offer a stereo image in a single speaker vs the Play 1 and Sonos One which are mono. The stereo effect was noticeable up to about 3-4 feet beyond that the stereo effect diminishes for the listener into a mono sound.

IMO because of the great sound of a single Play:1 and diminishing stereo effect of the Play 3 after a few feet it made good business sense to cease production of the Play 3. But as I said...that's JMO.🤔

Play 3's can be mounted vertically or horizontally. Vertical mounting automatically changed the sound characteristics to mono. Vertical mounting was typically used to create a stereo pair or as surrounds. Note: A stereo pair could also be created in the horizontal mount position.

Bottom-line if you find a good deal on new Play 3's (as a result of overstock) I see no reason to shy away from the purchase. Even purchased "used" at a reasonable price they're OK. Of course the risk is greater. I suggest you contact Sonos to inquire about warranty provisions for new Play 3's sold by an authorized dealer.

Cheers!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I would not pay over $199 for play:3s
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
@AjTrek1 , thanks.
i didn't think about the possibility of warranty issues.
Definitely something to think about as I have no doubt in my mind the retailer is Authorized.
It's the Exchange which is a store for our Armed Forces. I'm prior military and have an opportunity to purchase these there. I'm guessing that had a large supply.
I continue to use a stereo pair of PLAY:3s in my bedroom, and consider them exemplary speakers.
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
I would not pay over $199 for play:3s

Why do you say this? is the sound quality on par with a Sonos One in your opinion. I assumed they would have higher quality Audio which honestly is the only reason it caught my eye.

I would not pay over $199 for play:3sWhy do you say this? is the sound quality on par with a Sonos One in your opinion. I assumed they would have higher quality Audio which honestly is the only reason it caught my eye.

Actually, the sound improvements from 1st generation (Play:5 Gen 1, Play:3) to second generation (Play:1, Play:5 Gen 2, One) are remarkable. I own a Play:3, and would take the One/Play:1 over it for sound quality.
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
@jgatie , Thanks that's good to know, really good.
Appreciate it.
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
@AjTrek1 , thanks.
i didn't think about the possibility of warranty issues.
Definitely something to think about as I have no doubt in my mind the retailer is Authorized.
It's the Exchange which is a store for our Armed Forces. I'm prior military and have an opportunity to purchase these there. I'm guessing that had a large supply.

Walked by a stack of about 15-20 in my local BX yesterday. But, if I were in that price range, I think the Exchange sells the Play:1 for $129, and a pair of Play:1s beats a Play:3 hands down.
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
Thanks all. This to thread has been very helpful to me.