Answered

New One SL or S/H Sonos One (Gen 1)

• 29 August 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge +4

I am going to set up a secondary multi room system using Sonos One SL in 3 or 4 rooms.  My main system is a Lyngdorf system which is not multi room.

I need to decide whether to buy new Sonos One SL’s or for half the price I could buy secondhand Sonos One (Gen 1).  What are the main differences between them ?

It is possible that one of the SL’s could be replaced by a Sonos Five so the same question about Five / Play 5

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 29 August 2022, 11:25

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

The main differences between the One-SL and One (gen1) is the latter has built-in voice assistant, but I believe it’s mic array, WiFi adapter, processor and memory are different and that these things were improved in the newer One SL.

Also the newer One SL will only work in an S2 system only, whereas the One (gen1) will work in both an S1 and S2 system. The audio output from both players sound the same/similar to me.

The Sonos Five and Play:5 also sound the same/similar and again the Five can only be used in an S2 System whereas the older Play:5 can be used in both an S1/S2 system. I believe the new Five has a better processor, WiFi adapter …and ‘I think’ more memory but not entirely sure on the last point.

All speakers are great sounding and I would not hesitate to purchase any of them, personally speaking.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I think the Gen 1 One had less memory, which will impact support of future features. And of course the SL has no microphone, and so no way for voice control. 

Badge +4

Voice control is something I don’t need.  I am interested in sound quality and other features

Badge +4

The main differences between the One-SL and One (gen1) is the latter has built-in voice assistant, but I believe it’s mic array, WiFi adapter, processor and memory are different and that these things were improved in the newer One SL.

Also the newer One SL will only work in an S2 system only, whereas the One (gen1) will work in both an S1 and S2 system. The audio output from both players sound the same/similar to me.

The Sonos Five and Play:5 also sound the same/similar and again the Five can only be used in an S2 System whereas the older Play:5 can be used in both an S1/S2 system. I believe the new Five has a better processor, WiFi adapter …and ‘I think’ more memory but not entirely sure on the last point.

All speakers are great sounding and I would not hesitate to purchase any of them, personally speaking.

It seems that while the One gen 1 can use the S2 app, the Play Five cannot  

I would like to use the S2 app

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4786?language=en_US

It seems that while the One gen 1 can use the S2 app, the Play Five cannot  

I would like to use the S2 app

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4786?language=en_US

Only the rather old Play:5 (gen-1) is S1 only compatible. That hasn’t been manufactured since end of 2015. The Play:5 (gen2) is both S1 and S2 compatible …and the Sonos Five will just run on S2 only.

Hope that assists.