New home build - Sonos and Roku?

• 14 December 2020
  • 2 replies

Need some help please!

We are building a home now and I have my low voltage team working right now to set up speakers.

Here’s the rough plan: 

Deck TV home run into basement and will have 2 outdoor speakers. Will be controlled with Sonos Amp and wall mounted volume controller. I assume I’m ok to use Roku in this setup by plugging the Roku into the Sonos Amp?

The living room may or may not be home run into basement. This room will NOT have overhead speakers but the nearby kitchen will have speakers powered by the deck amp as mentioned above.

We had planned on using a Sonos ARC for this living room TV, which would allow us to use the TV in living room as source for the ARC AND the speakers on the Deck/Kitchen.

Is this understanding correct so far?

Finally, we plan to use Roku for this TV in the living room. This means my Roku will plug into my TV, which will plug into my ARC, which will allow me to pair that sound to other Sonos Amp powered speakers. 

Is this all correct? Need some quick help as I have to wire the living room quickly. 

Thank you!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi there @cyclonenation89.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

While Sonos usually refrains from recommending third-party products, it would be best to reach out to our Sales Team for they have all the resources to give you the best answer to your inquiry in real-time. You can give them a call or send them an email attached with an image of your floor plan for assessment and to provide you the best option.

In addition, some of the community members might provide their own opinion about this anytime soon.

If you have any questions,  feel free to reach out.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I’m not sure I completely understand everything you wrote, but here is some possible clarification. The deck Roku must be plugged into the TV. An HDMI cable is used to connect the Amp to the TV’s HDMI-ARC port. This is how you’ll want the living room setup wired also. The deck Amp can drive a pair of speakers in the kitchen in addition to the deck speakers. However, this will form a single Sonos zone and will always play the same music or tv audio. If it were me, I’d like the ability to play from different sources in the two areas. This requires another Amp. Also, when a room playing tv audio is grouped to play in other rooms there will be a 75 ms delay in the other rooms. This is enough to be annoying and may be fine for the deck zone since it’s outside.