Answered

New Amp vs old Amp and 4 built in speakers

• 25 September 2018
  • 5 replies

Hi Sonos Lovers,
We have recently moved into a new house.
It has 2 inbuilt speakers in two rooms that the previous owners used two separate Sonos Amps to connect. Am I right to assume that the new amp that is coming out soon will allow me to connect all 4 speakers in 2 rooms to the one amp?
Many thanks, Alex
icon

Best answer by John B 25 September 2018, 21:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

This is already true of the existing Connect:Amp, provided the speAkers are 8 Ohms. Of course you would lose the option to play different streams on the two sets of speakers.
Thanks John, ah we would really want to be able to play two different streams. Will this be the case with the new amp? Ie 4 different speakers, in two different rooms (and two seperate streams) through the one new amp?
I believe it will be identical in this respect. If you want two streams you will need two amps.
The new Sonos AMP has only stereo output (2 speaker outputs: left and right). It is not capable of playing 2 different streams to 2 sets of speakers, but like the Connect:AMP, you can run four speakers off the 2 speaker outputs. In that arrangement, you will have 2 left and 2 right speakers. As John B wrote, you need at least 8 Ohm speakers if you're going to run two speakers from a single channel (on either device). I currently use a Connect:AMP for 4 ceiling speakers, which are 8 ohms each.
In addition, the new Amp has a mono mode, where both channels play both channels (does that make sense?).