Natural next addition to a Sonos One?

• 5 November 2021
  • 2 replies

Hello there everyone

About two years ago a wonderful relative of mine bought me a Sonos One (the one with the voice assistant built-in). I’ve absolutely loved it, especially as being a student I’ve moved to a bunch of different places in the meantime. Its small size and wifi functionality makes it easy to move around. I also have an ear condition which makes using earphones and headphones for longer than an hour extremely painful, so having a great quality speaker I can play from my Mac/iPad/iPhone and really enjoy my music has been a joy.

But I’m wondering what the logical next step is in this setup. I don’t have a high income of course as a student, so what would be the best Sonos product to get to take listening to music to the next level? Would it be simply another Sonos One to go for a ‘stereo’ setup? Or is it better to just try and save up and scrape together the money for maybe a Sonos Five? I was tempted by the Sonos Beam as I do watch TV/game and obviously using headphones for that isn’t a great option for me either with my ear condition.

Any general advice about where I should go next? I live in a one-bedroom apartment and my bedroom gets very poor wifi so I only really go to sleep there and come back to my main room, so I’m not sure if it would be worth getting a separate Sonos speaker for there.

Any advice, thoughts or suggestions would be very appreciated.

Thank you

2 replies

Badge +17

Hey @Swarming,

If I was in your position, my next purchase would indeed be another One (or One SL) to create a stereo pair. A stereo pair of Ones + Sub is my main listening setup during the day while working here on the community :smile: I don’t have a Five here at home, but I have plenty of listening experience with them, and personally, I’d choose the stereo pair of Ones over a single Five for most small to medium sized rooms.

A Sub is definitely not essential, and given the choice between a second One or adding a Sub I’d choose the One every time. 

If you don’t have a position where you spend most of the day for your music listening, then a second One could also be placed in another room (not as a stereo pair) and group them together to get music in more than one room.

It also depends on your priorities - do you watch TV more than listening to music? In that case I’d be more tempted to go for a Beam. Of course, Beam can also play music when not watching TV so it would also fill that role nicely.

I hope that helps!

Hi @Swarming given the budget constraint, I would suggest to buy a One SL (if you do not use the voice commands). If you can afford it, my second choice would be to buy a Move which also offers great sound and a lot of possibilities to take with you in your apartment (bathroom, bedroom, etc.). Wire-connect your Sonos One to your router and it may improve  the network coverage for your Sonosnet. Hope this helps.