Hi,

i want to setup:

2 speakers in dining room

2 speakers in living room 1 

2 speakers in living room 2

2 speakers in kitchen 

2 outdoor speakers. 

1. How many amps do I need?
  2. can I play the same music on all the speakers even if there are multiple amps?
  3. if 2 speakers from living room 1 and 2 speakers from living room 2 are connected to the same amp, can I have 2 different zones? So I could play the same music in both living rooms AND play the same music in living room 1 and turn the speakers in living room 2 off - is that makes sense?

thanks 

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 16 February 2022, 17:06

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7

Each Amp acts as one zone, meaning all speakers wired to a single Amp will play the same content at the same volume.

You can play music on each individual Amp separately or group multiple Amps together to play the same music at the same time.

You can connect up to four 8 ohm passive speakers to one Amp. If the speakers are Sonos Architectural by Sonance speakers, you can connect up to six speakers.

Each Amp acts as one zone, meaning all speakers wired to a single Amp will play the same content at the same volume.

You can play music on each individual Amp separately or group multiple Amps together to play the same music at the same time.

You can connect up to four 8 ohm passive speakers to one Amp. If the speakers are Sonos Architectural by Sonance speakers, you can connect up to six speakers.

Thank you

is it possible to turn off 2 of the 4 speakers to one of the amps? Ie if I didn’t want music in living room 1 but I did want it in living room 2? And they are connected to the same amp? Can the amp just send sound to 2 of the speakers?

Thank you

is it possible to turn off 2 of the 4 speakers to one of the amps? Ie if I didn’t want music in living room 1 but I did want it in living room 2? And they are connected to the same amp? Can the amp just send sound to 2 of the speakers?

If you have 4 speakers connected to a single Sonos amp, they will all play the same source at the same volume.  You can obviously get a 2nd amp, and have 2 speakers connected to each (2) amps, playing at different volume and same  different sources.  If you’re looking for a cheaper solution, you can get an impedance matching speaker switch, which will allow you to turn off pairs of speakers, wire additional speakers, some with separate volume control, all connected to the same amp. 

Userlevel 7

If all speakers are attached to same Sonos Amp you cannot turn-off speakers without introducing a volume control for each speaker or pair of speakers as @melvimbe suggested or a selector box as shown in the link.

https://www.amazon.com/Improved-Selector-Distribution-Amplifier-Switches/dp/B000NJDO5G/ref=sr_1_16?crid=11IOQQSYGNAOG&keywords=multi-speaker+volume+control+wall+mount&qid=1645032166&sprefix=multi-speaker+volume+control+wall+mount%2Caps%2C87&sr=8-16