Mesh systems and Sonos

• 29 December 2017
  • 6 replies

Badge
I am in the process of reviewing and purchasing a whole home mesh Wifi system. What does/doesn’t work with Sonos?

Anyone have a suggestion or successful install?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I am using Netgear Orbi and really like it - have had no issues. I do use Sonosnet as well (having one Sonos unit hooked to my main Orbi).

I have the 2 satellite system with the main one on one side of my house in garage and the other one past the middle toward the far side of the house on 2nd floor. Covers my 6500 sf house with no issues at all. Also being more central location I have my security cam Arlo base station there as well (I wish netgear would have built the Arlo ability into the Orbi so that you whouldn't have to have the extra base).
Badge
Thanks hadn't considered the orbi, was looking at Google and Eero. Will give the orbi a look
I just installed a 3 x Google Wifi mesh system this morning because my new Sonos One was having trouble with our previous flaky wifi from a range extender. It's working really well so far!
Badge
I just installed a 3 x Google Wifi mesh system this morning because my new Sonos One was having trouble with our previous flaky wifi from a range extender. It's working really well so far!
What's the status of you setup. I'm also looking into purchasing a mesh network, but looking to see what will work better with my setup. I have three Sonos (Beam, Play One, Play 3). The Beam is connected directly to the Apple Airport Extreme and the others are connected via Wifi. I have several wifi devices including Smart switches (8) and Google Home Nest. I've been having issues with my AAE and want to change it out to a mesh network, but want to see what works better with my Sonos. I've also configured my 2.4 channels on my AAF and Sonos to be separate (Sonos: 1 - AAE: 6 or 11).
As long as you keep the Beam connected to the main hub of your mesh system with an Ethernet cable, you should be fine, as the Sonos will continue to use SonosNet. Just make sure that the mesh system and SonosNet are on two different channels, so their signals don’t clash.
Badge
As long as you keep the Beam connected to the main hub of your mesh system with an Ethernet cable, you should be fine, as the Sonos will continue to use SonosNet. Just make sure that the mesh system and SonosNet are on two different channels, so their signals don’t clash.

I've done that with my current setup. AAE on channel 6 and SonosNet on 1. Beam is connected ethernet and One and Play 3 wireless. I do need to check if it shows WM or wifi. Also i wasn't aware about the Network Matrix. But i believe my AAE is starting to degrade, having random wifi issues, slowness and buffering with 1Gb internet.