Marshall Stanmore Ii

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

As a Sonos fanboy, i've listened to Marshall Stanmore Ii today. Must say, I was impressed. Gbe detail, the power, bass. Can the Move (I plan to add it to my system) compete? Have you heard both?

Neven

6 replies

Userlevel 7

I haven’t heard the Marshall speaker, but I have the Move and it is one of my favorite Sonos speakers. It not only sounds great indoors, but when I take it outdoors, it gets surprisingly loud and has impressive bass performance. And if you are already a “Sonos fanboy” you will be happy to have a great-sounding portable speaker that you can group with any other Sonos device in your house.

The only reliable answer is by listening to both in the spaces they will be played in, with music you like.

And even if the Sonos is shaded slightly, the inability to have the Marshall make nice with the rest of your Sonos kit has to be a factor as well.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

I haven’t heard the Marshall speaker, but I have the Move and it is one of my favorite Sonos speakers. It not only sounds great indoors, but when I take it outdoors, it gets surprisingly loud and has impressive bass performance. And if you are already a “Sonos fanboy” you will be happy to have a great-sounding portable speaker that you can group with any other Sonos device in your house.

Thank you. Marshall was in the small 3 sq metres room witch door open. We were sitting 6 metres from it. I do think that the enclosed space helped with the power it gave but non the less i dont think Move can compete. Certainly my play 3s, even in pair dont come close. But i am glad i'm stuck with sonos. I dont want to change.

Neven

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

The only reliable answer is by listening to both in the spaces they will be played in, with music you like.

And even if the Sonos is shaded slightly, the inability to have the Marshall make nice with the rest of your Sonos kit has to be a factor as well.

I will try to lend it for a test run and then decide if i want to keep it. One more thing. Here in Croatia,  Move is almost 100 dollars pricier than the Stanmore II. And play 5 which i do think bests Marshall, is double in price.

Neven

I have not used the Move - but seeing that it is a lot larger than the Play 1 units I know well, I am sure Sonos has made use of the much larger enclosure to get better sound from it, so the USD 100 premium may even be justified for sound quality alone.

Marshall are also different - they have a Marshall sound across the range. I don't much care for it, but that is also because I am now used to sound from Sonos and similar speakers. But unless you are a big fan of the Marshall sound, I don't think you will regret choosing the Move and over time the fact that it will work with your other Sonos speakers will be a feature you will be happy to have.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

I have not used the Move - but seeing that it is a lot larger than the Play 1 units I know well, I am sure Sonos has made use of the much larger enclosure to get better sound from it, so the USD 100 premium may even be justified for sound quality alone.

Marshall are also different - they have a Marshall sound across the range. I don't much care for it, but that is also because I am now used to sound from Sonos and similar speakers. But unless you are a big fan of the Marshall sound, I don't think you will regret choosing the Move and over time the fact that it will work with your other Sonos speakers will be a feature you will be happy to have.

Yes, Sonos will be. The only question is which. I want a speaker only for music/radio. Wheather I need move to lug around the backyard, i am not so sure. If it will be in the same indoor space, i will be better of with one play five or a pair of one's

Neven