Answered

Looking to buy a used Sonos play 3 and a play 1

• 5 June 2021
  • 4 replies

I am considering buying a Play 3 speaker with a smaller support speaker like a Sonus 1. One  concern I have is, can updates with the iphone, make the Sonus incompatible?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 5 June 2021, 14:21

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Do you mean the two speakers becoming incompatible with each other, or them becoming incompatible with your iPhone iOS system? Only Sonos, or Apple, may know the answers to their future planned developments, but these companies/manufacturers rarely, if ever, announce their long-term development roadmap, so it’s anyone’s guess.

Sonos however have said they hope to support their own products for at least 5 years after their discontinued manufacture… in practice, devices have been supported far longer than that period, but no guarantees I suppose that these things will still apply in the future.

In respect of Sonos products working with iOS/Android controller devices, it appears to me that in practice Sonos support controller devices that have their operating systems still supported by Apple/Google etc; and receive security updates …and after that, they become partially supported for about a year, or so, and are then set aside. My guess is that decision is to minimise any potential security risks that may apply to the older unsupported controller software. This again is just a ‘guide’… and a controller device maybe dropped for other reasons like incompatible outdated hardware, I guess.

HTH

Userlevel 7

@Isadore Even though the Play:3 and Play:1 are discontinued products, they are still supported by Sonos’ latest app and operating system. I have three Play:1s and they all work great with the latest Sonos speakers like the Roam, Move, and Arc.
https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4786?language=en_US

thanks for all your all’s info. Yes, my main worry is I spend a lot of money on Sonus speakers and they become incompatible with myiPhone iOS system,Sonos, or Apple and become wall decorations. I m not an”updater” so if I find something I like I tend to stick with it. I also have an trusty old vintage stereo that one channel of the receiver went out on so the debate is should I spend money on it or invest in Sonus 3 (which I really like the sound and concept).It’s a conundrum.

Any time you add a ‘new’ speaker to your system, you’ll be required to update all your Sonos (not Sonus) speakers to be on the same version of the software, so that they will all work with each other. 

It may be important to remember that Sonos products are not just speakers, but speakers with a computer built in to them. Limited computer, to be sure, just enough to run software that allows them to play music and connect to the internet, but it does exist, and in general, will need to keep its software updated. The longer you avoid updating it, you run the possibility of not being able to use all of the features in the software, as things change over time. If you’re not using the ‘new’ features, you’d be fine, but the process of adding a ‘new to you’ speaker requires all speakers to be updated to the latest version of the software.