Looking to buy a SONOS for one-and-a-half rooms - advice needed

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Dear Community,

I just moved into a new flat and I am looking to buy a new sound / HiFi system for my bedroom.

As you can see below, I have a 1-and-a-half bedroom, divided by a semi-wall and a glass door which will remain open the vast majority of the time. I will be spending more time in the “big room” that the picture is taken from - but also a good chunk of time each day in the smaller room that you can see after walking through the door in the picture.

What SONOS do you recommend?

I was thinking to buy the SONOS Five and have it in the big bedroom  - but do you think that the sound will be bad when the music is playing from the big bedroom and I'll be in the other, smaller room?

What do you think of getting a SONOS Five and a SONOS Move or ONE to play simultaneously, one in each room? Or will that sound strange if I can partially hear both at the same time?

I look forward to your advice.

We are now standing in the “big” main bedroom, looking through to the smaller room which contains a sofa and some shelves.

Best,
Daniele

2 replies

Do you want stereo? While a FIVE is stereo when oriented horizontally, one must be very close to the speaker in order to appreciate the stereo effect.

Sound does not travel well into the next room through a doorway. There will not be much focus to the music and it will be obvious that sound is simply drifting into the room through the door.

I recommend two speakers per room and place the speakers near your primary listening positions. This space is very live with no drapes or carpet. The sound will bounce around and not have much focus. If you are very close to the speakers they will somewhat dominate and minimize damage from the reflections. (notice that I said “minimize”, not “eliminate”) The bedroom will probably sound better because the bed will tend to absorb reflections.

Depending on your listening position there may be some issues when both sets of speakers are playing, but you don’t need to play them both.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi there, I ended up buying one Sonos Five for the big room, which is fully sufficient. :)