Large Room

• 15 March 2018
  • 5 replies

I have a question regarding having a sound bar in a Large room w/ high ceilings? Should I use a sound bar or have the room wired for traditional surround sound?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Are you looking at setting up a 5.1 or just improve the TV sound with a better speaker? And can you define large room?
The room is 26x34 and ceiling height of 18ft. I would like to have better sound for music and movies
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
With a room that size, you will need more then the playbar. 884 sq feet, you will need to look at the least a 2 pairs of play 5's firing from and back of the room for music. To be honest, I do not think that the sonos 5.1 can handle a room that big. Even with 5.1 consisting of a playbar, sub and 2 play 5 will be enough to fill the whole room. I would go with a 7.1 system honestly traditionally wired.

While a group of 4 play 5 can fill that room with a sub for music. A pair of play 5's is good for a room unto 600 square feet. So that is why I said 2 pairs. But it will not solve the movie aspect.
Is this all one room or is large open space area for family room, kitchen, dining, etc. I'm asking because it may be beneficial to setup a 5.1 system for part of the room (for tv) and additional speakers around the rest of the room for music. Also, will you be able to run speaker wire behind walls or in the ceiling. Given the size of the room, I would think that's not a great option.
A room like this presents challenges for any home theatre system, if the entire room is to be seen as one unit. Room acoustics will be very difficult to manage - for Sonos and for traditional as well. Best to do what the preceding post suggests, which allows for relevant speakers to be closer to the listener and thereby allowing room acoustic responses to play a much lesser part.