Answered

IS Sonos actually a good choice for Home Theatre?

• 3 August 2017
  • 4 replies

I have a Denon receiver, 2 front speakers, a center speaker as well as the rear speakers and sub woofer. I'm trying to get away from having to run speaker wire to the receiver, as well as making it easier to connect with out the receiver. I don't have a dedicated Home Theatre room, just a living room. Is Sonos a good choice for home theatre? Thanks.
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 3 August 2017, 19:12

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If you can be sure of getting Dolby Digital 5.1 into the Player then yes it is good choice.
Some people have issues because they can't get their TV to pass through 5.1 (Usually gets converted to stereo in those cases). My TV for instance won't so I've had to use an optical switch which works. Also, if you want DTS or Dolby Digital + the Player won't decode that at all.
From the information you've provided so far, I'd say yes. However, you check to see if your tv has an optical output and pass DD5.1. Otherwise, you may be limited to stereo sound, or have to do a different work around. Also, are you thinking of still using some or all of your speakers? Because with a sonos surround system you wouldn't be able to (except for the connect, which is just adding to your current system).

For a home theatre setup, Sonos PLAYBAR or PLAYBASE would be replacing your receiver and front speakers. You would then add sonos sub and rear speakers as you desire. The only wiring is power to the speakers, and optical input from the tv. So it absolutely simplifies the wiring.

Personally, I think sonos is good almost every where, but it loses appeal in a dedicated home theatre room (no need for music or multiroom audio really) where speaker wiring isn't a concern.
Thanks for your replies.
Here is the model number for the Samsung TV I have. It's a new 4K TV. UN65HU8550F. Can anyone tell me if this has a optical out for the BasePlay? I can find out later, but just thought since I'm at work, maybe someone knows the answer. thanks.