Question

Is a "Play:X" some sort of Sonos ONE prototype?

• 9 November 2019
  • 4 replies

Badge +2

I was tempted to pick up a couple of ‘Play:X’ speakers being sold used.  I’m not talking about a generic term for any of the Play:[1,3,5] speakers --  they literally have ‘Play:X’ as the model name on the bottom. Most Sonos:One’s I’ve seen are labelled “One” on the bottom, so it makes me wonder if these are some sort of prototype or pre-production model of the Sonos:One?…   Concerned that Sonos may not allow them to work if they were never intended to be found out in the wild.  TIA for any info…  Paul.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Never heard of such a model. Since you’re saying they’re used, I’d guess that someone didn’t properly modify their description to 1, 3 or 5, i.e they were using a template.

I would be extremely suspicious of these devices. They could be PLAY:1s, they could be Sonos Ones, etc, but you wouldn’t know what it really was until you purchased it. If the seller can’t properly list what they’re selling, it’s hard to trust them.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hey Paul, if it’s labeled with something like Play:X and not the proper model number, it’s a preproduction unit, likely from a beta test.

Assuming that it’s a beta unit, officially speaking, we make no guaranties about the continued functionality of beta units outside of the original beta program. They don’t have any warranty, and while they might work perfectly fine for years, they also may not function at all. Beta units units aren’t meant to be sold after the beta program is over, especially as the original tester didn’t pay for them in the first place, and was allowed to keep them or maybe got them some other way, like finding them in an e-waste.

Badge +2

Yes, Ryan, that’s it.  The units do have “ DVT build -- property of Sonos" on the bottom.   While I already own a few “property of Sonos” units (demos that had the power port drilled out and subsequently repaired) the price on these isn’t worth the risk for me.  Thanx for confirming my suspicions...

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

DVT is a term used in hardware development, see https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-EVT-DVT-and-PVT-in-engineering-validation-tests