Answered

Interested in Sonos for a new extension project

• 8 February 2021
  • 4 replies

Hope someone can help.  We are creating a new large extension which will incorporate a kitchen /dining area and TV Lounge.  We would like our TV connected to a pair of bookshelf or ceiling speakers and would like an additional set of ceiling speakers in the kitchen area.  We want the ability to watch TV using ONLY the bookshelf / 1st set of ceiling speakers but if we want to play music when we are having a party/entertaining we want the ability to play the same sound from ALL 4 speakers.  What would we need to buy to achieve this with Sonos please?

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 8 February 2021, 18:22

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

You would need 2  Sonos amps, one for the lounge and one for the Kitchen.  You will be able to play them both together or separately as you wish.  I would not recommend ceiling speakers for TV audio, as it will sound odd for the audio to come from a different location than the video.

You would need 2  Sonos amps, one for the lounge and one for the Kitchen.  You will be able to play them both together or separately as you wish.  I would not recommend ceiling speakers for TV audio, as it will sound odd for the audio to come from a different location than the video.

Thanks.  That's what I thought but certainly expensive to achieve.  I guess that’s what you pay for to achieve the Sonos ease of functionality!

Thanks.  That's what I thought but certainly expensive to achieve.  I guess that’s what you pay for to achieve the Sonos ease of functionality!

You could do it for cheaper, using a speaker switch and running all 4 speakers off a single amp, but you’re giving up the ability to control through Sonos easily, as you pointed out.  Or you could use a pair of Sonos Ones in the kitchen, something like that.

One other thing to consider, if you’re kitchen is placed behind the lounge in a shared space, it might make sense to setup the kitchen speakers as surround speakers.  With that setup, for TV, those speakers play surround audio, and then play music for streaming sources.  Just configure for ‘full’ stereo.  The downside to this is that you can’t control the volume in the spaces separately, and you can’t have the kitchen play something different than the lounge.

Thanks Danny.  Much appreciated.