Skip to main content

Hi,

Hoping to get some advice from the community about the best way to play CD’s in my system as I own some discs which aren’t on streaming services.

I have a Beam, sub and 2x play 1’s in a single room.

From the research I’ve done, a cd player or turntable must have a built in pre-amp in order to work with sonos, however I dont know what I need to look out for when browsing - dont most cd players have a built in pre-amp?

I’ve found a couple options but dont know if they’d work? Im looking for a solution that isnt going to break the bank but sound decent.

https://premiumsound.co.uk/product/hifi-separates/cd-players/pro-ject-cd-box-e/?attribute_pa_colour=black&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Pmax&utm_medium=ppc&utm_term=2085378&utm_campaign=Pmax17507541004&utm_source=google&utm_medium=ppc&utm_term=&hsa_acc=9363011116&hsa_cam=17507541004&hsa_grp=&hsa_ad=&hsa_src=x&hsa_tgt=&hsa_kw=&hsa_mt=&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_ver=3&gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAADuG4-zYi7-lKfu5POBUzc5qNs_v0

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CD6007-Resolution-Conversion-Headphone-Amplifier-Zwart/dp/B08GFVXHY2/ref=asc_df_B08GFVXHY2/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=696452133737&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2381130889257698862&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045741&hvtargid=pla-999396543287&psc=1&mcid=7ece102122fb3cedbcb72c2c2dbc6308&gad_source=1

It sounds like my best bet is to connect the player to a sonos port (which I would look for second hand) and would keep the door open to integrating a turntable potentially in the future.

Would love some advice on this setup, the cd players above and if theres an alternative setup recommended.

Thanks,

Matt

No amplifier is required for a CD player. The Port (and the Connect before it) accepts a line-level signal, which is what a CD player puts out. A turntable does require a phono pre amp to boost the signal to line-level, either built in or separate.

Thanks for the reply Iain.

are you well familiar with CD players? Are either of the 2 I linked to above any good?

Amazon UK barfed at me trying to see the links.

I’d suggest looking at reviews on this site, then buy whatever/wherever you like.

Crutchfield  https://www.crutchfield.com/

Do some reading on turntables there too, excellent and free basic education into the different bits you need.

A Port would be the cleanest option, you’d be using the analog audio input for the CD player, and later the turntable. Adding a simple RCA switch would let you select which to play.

Hi @Mattsta LFC, the Pro-Ject CD Box E CD Player is very highly regarded. It has an S/PDIF (digital) output, which is cool from a future-proofing standpoint. Paired with a Sonos Port you’ll be good to go!

Thanks for the reply Iain.

are you well familiar with CD players? Are either of the 2 I linked to above any good?

More familiar with turntables than CD players, but the Marantz gets good reviews from the likes of What HiFi and as press250 notes the Project’s digital output offers future proofing. Project’s turntables are excellent and their T1 SB Phono has a built-in phono stage and its Ortofon OM 5e cartridge can easily be upgraded with just a change of stylus, so no realignment needed, indeed with an OM20 fitted you’ve got an audiophile grade turntable that is easily more than a match for Sonos speakers.