In the bedroom...I can't decide.

So my bedroom is a pretty typical setup. ~300 sqft. Bed and two nightstands on one wall, a dresser on the other. Above the dresser is a tv mounted on the wall. The tv is rarely used. When it is, it's either firetv or xbox. A pair of play:1s sit on the nightstand. The vast majority of the time, I'm using the play:1s for music.

I can't decide between two options.

Option 1: Add Beam + Sub. So get full 5.1 in that room with minimal changes. Add a wall mount for the Beam. Get all the Beam features with the TV. Cost before tax...$1,060. (

Option 2: Get a pair of Play:5s, repurpose the 1s. Perhaps better for music, but no link to the tv or alexa functionality. Will need to get a pair of the floor stands. Cost before tax...$1,190.

I can't decide. A part of me says that option 1 will be plenty good enough for music, considering the addition of the sub. I also feel that option 1 will look better in the room, not crazy about floor stands ( or mounting play:5s). Play:5s may be too much for the room, not that it's an issue. A part of me wants to get the Play:5s as I don't have any in the house yet, and I'm going to get the Beam for the gameroom already...and the 1s could move over there.

1st world problems...

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12
I would go with beam with 2 play1 and sub. The 2 play 5 will be overkill. You get to enjoy 5.1 in bed. And get good music. Just set the play1 to full for music vs ambient.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
A few months back in a topic about Home Theater speaker placement, Kumar convinced me to try my Sonos One's paired with the Sub over a pair of Play:5's. Personally, I felt I was "gimp"-ing the Play:5's from their full potential by offloading the lower frequencies to the Sub.
A few months back in a topic about Home Theater speaker placement, Kumar convinced me to try my Sonos One's paired with the Sub over a pair of Play:5's. Personally, I felt I was "gimp"-ing the Play:5's from their full potential by offloading the lower frequencies to the Sub.

Thanks Keith. Are you saying you liked the Ones + Sub over a pair of 5s? I don't think I'd go with 5s + Sub as I don't think I really need/want that much bass in there. I'm thinking the 5's will have enough for me, I only think I'd want to add the sub with 1s (and Beam) because it would add the needed bass, though more than I need of that makes sense.

It just occurred to me that I do already have a sub in the living room, and should probably temporarily bond it to the 1s in the bedroom to see what I think. Not the same as the full 5.1 with the Beam, but closer. And I'll probably need to go back to Best Buy and listen to the 5 again.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Love the combination of Ones + Sub. While I haven't tested the exact frequency response change of the Play:5's after bonding to the Sub, I A/B tested the players by checking the Sub off and on and it made the case pretty clear. At that point, I felt I could put the 5's to a better use so I ended up moving the pair of 5's to the bedroom. Rain and thunderstorm sleep sounds have a bit more rumble to 'em now compared to the Ones they replaced.

However now with the Beam incoming, I might end up going down the same exact path you are travelling in no time. 😛
I had assumed that my tv had HDMI ARC as it's not that old. I checked it this morning and turns out it's not. It does have optical, so it would work, but not full functionality. I could upgrade the tv, but since it's not a high use room, that's a waste. Besides, I would rather upgrade the living room tv, and migrate that to the bedroom when the time comes. I'm not ready for that.

I still want to do some testing with the Sonos I currently have, but I'm leaning back towards a pair of play:5s again.
Userlevel 1
If you really don't use the TV a lot I'd definitely go with the Play:5's and find a new home for the Play:1's. I love the sound I get out of my Play:5's when playing music. That said, I echo what some have said that two Play:5's in a 300sq/ft bedroom is overkill. Honestly if you wanted to save some money you could probably add a sub to your Play:1's and have everything you need music wise.
I tested out a play:1s with sub scenario in that room and really didn't care for it too much. Right now, I'm leaning towards the play:5s, but yes, it is overkill.
So my bedroom is a pretty typical setup. ~300 sqft. Bed and two nightstands on one wall, a dresser on the other. Above the dresser is a tv mounted on the wall. The tv is rarely used. When it is, it's either firetv or xbox. A pair of play:1s sit on the nightstand. The vast majority of the time, I'm using the play:1s for music.

1st world problems...

Quite...as to the last bit!

That said, I think the music listening when in bed isn't best served by the location for the play units which seems to be that for surround units for that listening position. Either wall mount the 1 units so they flank the TV, aimed towards the bed or use a beam/bar.
Yes, this is where the 1s used to be. Not mounted, but sitting on furniture. I don't mind them on the nightstand, but you do have a point that I might like the 1s + sub better if the 1s were back in the flanking position.

I want to avoid mounting speakers if possible, at least for now. I usually don't mind cutting into the walls normally, but this seems like a bigger job than normal. Partly because I'm not as used to electrical wiring and because one of the speakers ideally should be above a door, if I'm going to mount it.
If you must make a change, I would then go the Bar/Beam route, if you are willing to wall mount. Placed under the TV, even without a sub, the music should sound better from speakers aimed towards you than from 1 units placed above and behind your head.