in ceiling vs era 300s

• 31 October 2023
  • 2 replies

Hi,

In my room I have an Arc and 2 one for surround.

I would like to hide wires and wonder about the best of those configurations:

arc + amp and 2 inceiling such as focal icw (about 1300 euros)

arc + 2 era 300 with wallmount on the ceiling (about 1000 euros)

which configuration would be the best?

here is a picture of my installation

thanks !

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Clementfufu 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

arc + amp and 2 inceiling such as focal icw (about 1300 euros)

I cannot recommend this set up as surround speakers are best kept at head height (of someone sitting down), which in-ceiling speakers obviously are not. In addition, you are paying more for less. It would be the cleanest setup in regards to wires, however.

arc + 2 era 300 with wallmount on the ceiling (about 1000 euros)

I presume you mean near the ceiling? You can mount the Era 300s inverted. This setup will have the advantage of Atmos audio over the Amp configuration, but it is recommended to keep Era 300s at head height too, and the inverted mounting will affect the effectiveness of Atmos playback. You will need to provide power to the speakers, however, which likely means visible cables. One option is to install power sockets very close to the speakers - you may even be able to do this for around the difference in price between the 300s and the Amp plus speakers. Another option (but visually less attractive) would be the use of cable conduits.

It should be noted that TruePlay isn’t yet supported for inverted Era 300s, and we don’t yet have short power cables for Era speakers available.

which configuration would be the best?

Normal (not inverted) mounting of Era 300s at a lower height than your Ones are at now would be ideal, but of the two configurations that you specified, the Era 300 option would be best.

I hope this helps - if you have further questions please don’t hesitate.

In that setup, I would probably keep the surround speakers and get a speaker stand for the right side (facing TV) to hide the power cord.  You could lower the shelf on the left and shrink it’s size, or just get a wall mount to hide the power cord. I’m not sure how much room you have in that corner, but I bet you could get it so that no one is hitthing their head on it.  Or you could just get a pair of wall mounts for both sides.  If you’re still concerned that power cords are still visible, then you could get an in wall cable kit or just hire an electrician to put in power outlets exactly where you need them on the wall.

All of these options should be cheaper with better results than getting an amp, pair of in-ceiling speakers, and wiring the the speakers.