In-Ceiling Surround Sound Setup

• 29 November 2022
  • 3 replies

I’m new to all of this, so please excuse any novice questions!  My wife and I are finishing the renovations on a new house and we’ve been in a little bit of a battle with how our entertainment area will be setup.  We have an open plan den/kitchen area and I was planning on using an Arc, Sub, and two One SLs to provide a decent audio setup.  Unfortunately, the TV is located close to a design element that my wife doesn’t want to crowd with electronics and view the Arc as a hindrance to her vision (interior designer).  I’m now exploring in-ceiling options so that I can keep that “clean look” she wants and limit immediately visible electronics.  I was wondering if I would be able to utilize 4 in-ceiling speakers and a single Amp and a sub.  All speakers would be used primarily in a theatre manner for movies/tv (sometimes music, but not as often) and would play from the same source at all times.

Is this a feasible setup or do I need to make some changes?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

It is possible, though I question the acoustic quality of it all, since in an home cinema set up the sound (at least for front speakers needs) to sound as “coming from the screen". When speakers are up in the ceiling this is hard to do.

For surround you'd need two Amps (one for the front and one for the rear speakers).

Thank you for the response!  True, I hadn’t considered that.  Do you think if I used two in-ceiling speakers near the main seating area (instead of 4), I could utilize two One SLs as left/right front speakers with the sub/amp combo?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I don’t think so, for surround your primary Amp or soundbar is the front speaker(s).

Either go with a Beam or Arc or get some nice speakers that look good beside the TV and go the Amp route for the front channels.