In ceiling speaker decision...

• 6 October 2019
  • 4 replies

Hi,

after some views and opinions!

I have a new kitchen extension being built in the coming months and I really want to have a nice audio solution. The space is open and reasonable large, looking for quality of sound for music as primary concern, this won’t be used for TV audio.

I’ve got 1 Sonos amp already purchased and was looking at getting 2 pairs of the Sonos by Sonance in ceiling speakers.

I went into richer sounds and the guy there threw a bit of a spanner in the works... his opinion was i could get a better setup for less by purchasing another Sonos amp and 2 sets of monitor audio in ceiling speakers. With the deal he could do I’d be saving about 200 pounds.

the main points the guy raised was control of volume or switching speakers on/off in different parts of the kitchen. He also believed the sound quality would be better from MA speakers due to directional tweeters etc. He didn’t seem to think the Sonance speakers warranted the price tag...

I haven’t heard either sets of speakers but I wondered people’s general thoughts on whether Sonos by Sonance or an alternative brand of speaker with a second amp would give better results?

ultimately I am after the best sound quality primarily with 90% of listening as background music and probably 10% loud for parties etc.

any thoughts or input or alternative setup ideas very much welcomed!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Full disclosure: I have no experience with the Sonance speakers.

Depending on the layout, two pairs of speakers might offer more uniform coverage for the background music. A good plan is to place a pair of speakers near the noise source -- such as an exhaust fan. Attempting to overpower the noise source from the other side of the room is a no win situation because you probably can't compete with the noise and you'll blast listeners near the speakers.

Also consider your typical location. If you have a seating area, symmetrical speaker placement around that area will yield a better listening experience for seated listeners. If you spend a significant amount time in a prep area, symmetrical placement around this area will help too.

And, it is beneficial to have individual Volume control over each pair of speakers. This can be accomplished with additional AMP's, or in-wall Volume controls and one AMP. There are running, sometimes angry, discussions about in-wall Volume controls vs sound quality. For background music I don't think that there is a significant difference. If I was attempting state of the art sound, I would not use in-wall Volume controls or ceiling speakers. Ceiling speakers are fine for background music -- especially in kitchens where conventional speaker placement is probably not practical.

For parties, SUB would be a great addition.
Thanks for the reply.
I have the Sonos Sub already so I may move that in the kitchen for parties.
does the sub connect and work with the AMP even if you go for different ceiling speakers (I.e. not Sonos by Sonance)?
Yes
Awesome thanks Buzz, that helps a lot! Pretty much true play really being the only difference!

I guess my final question comes back to if anyone can tell me what the Sonos by Sonance speakers are like and if there are alternative speakers in that price point or less that better them?

any thoughts of anyone would be appreciated!