Answered

Im almost ready to jump into the ecosystem but....

• 12 February 2018
  • 4 replies

Hi. I've been on the fence regarding jumping into the Sonos ecosystem. I generally have apple products but have a couple google homes and a few(4) chrome cast audios to hack together whole house music. Controlling it through the google music/home app kinda sucks to be honest and doesn't pass the wife reliability test.

I have at least 3 existing speaker systems that I need to drive separately from whatever smart(ish) speaker a system has but that should integrate for a whole house experience. In addition to that need 3(ish) separate speakers for Kitchen/Dining Room/Bedroom/ and 1 or 2 places more maybe(ish).

I would lie if I said I wasn't waiting to see how HomePod shook out. Then my dad got me a Sonos 1 last week as a birthday gift. Its cool and I might take advantage of the $350 for 2 more Sonos One deal but here is my dilemma. Those three places where I have receivers powering some bad ass speakers (Family Room, Back Yard/Deck, Garage/Driveway). Google was cheapest because of the Chromecasts but that experience isn't so great. Apples HomePod honestly costs more than I really need to spend for something next to my bed and peppered throughout the house. Sonos One is a good balance of price/quality for those places but the Connect price. Yikes. Is there a cheaper way to have my existing receiver/amp based systems catch Sonos music? I don't need to plug in a turntable or anything like that (I assume the inputs on Connect are for that?). I just need to pass the digital signal to my Pioneers input. This is one place where the apple comes out ahead price wise for me as I can get an apple TV pretty cheap (assumption is airplay 2 actually comes out and works) and pass the audio through that. And I already have 2 of them sooo... The price of adding 3 connects relative to what I need them to do is really the only thing keeping me on the sidelines with sonos. Is there something I am not seeing to help me solve the existing receiver issue?

Thanks!
icon

Best answer by JackWright 12 February 2018, 21:55

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 4
For your situation, unfortunately a Connect is the only polished option to get those three systems to Connect to your Sonos network... There isn't really any other way. 😞
Oh man I was hoping I just missed something. a Chromecast Audio (ish) element to get the signal to the receiver is much needed! The price of that piece is as much as an entire HomePod!

Thanks for your quick answer.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
The only other comment to add to JackWright's answer is that the Sonos One will support Google Assistant sometime this year and as a result there is a possibility for Chromecast Audio to be supported. Sonos haven't commented on this and they may not want to open up this type of connection between Sonos and 3rd party speakers but it's worth monitoring as a solution for your set-up.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I’ll just throw in that I bought all three of my Connects on eBay, at about 60% of their new cost. There are usually plenty to choose from. Mine are like new and came in their original packaging.