Answered

How to tell if used Sonos products are too old for continued updates?

• 24 October 2020
  • 3 replies

Like a lot of people, I was pretty upset when I found out that the Sonos equipment I spent thousands of dollars on just a few years ago was no longer going to be eligible for updates.    Despite that, I still think the Sonos system is the right one for me.   But I really don’t want to pay a bunch more money to Sonos to replace my equipment, so I’ve started looking around for good deals on gently used Sonos components.   How can I tell whether a particular component is new enough that it’s still eligible for updates?      Thanks.

icon

Best answer by ratty 24 October 2020, 16:06

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4786

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

What is missing from the link is the actually-retired hardware, which is small:

CR100

CR200

Dock

Also Bridges are not recommended as their power supplies fail causing nasty reliability issues.

If buying Used, make sure the device wasn’t bricked as a part of the original (short-lived) Recycle program.

To judge by your profile, the only device you own that may not be S2 compatible is the Connect:Amp.  And if you really bought it ‘just a few years ago’ even that may well be OK.

So how much money have you really spent on equipment that isn’t going to receive updates?