Answered

How to set up sonos audio for “occassional” TV/Projector usage on an outdoor patio

• 29 September 2022
  • 3 replies

Hello.  I’ve been googling and searching these forums, but not still quite sure the most ideal solution for my situation (There may not be one).  We’re installing a new patio and the landscaper offered to trench and lay the speaker wire for my outdoor speaker setup.  I’m looking at the Sonance MAG Series 6.1 that comes with the Sonos Amp.  I’d house the amp in my basement and run the speaker wire outside.  I was thinking while I’m able to run wires/cables underground it would be great if I could set something up if we ever wanted to bring a TV or projector out using the sonance speakers for the audio.  I’ve seen options for HDMI extenders through Ethernet or maybe even just HDMI.  My problem is we won’t have a tv or projector out there all the time so any cable/devices I run would just be sitting out in plain site in the elements when not in use.  Any thoughts on what I could do to use the Sonos system outside for occasional TV/projection viewing?  I am by no means an expert in any of this so appreciate any thoughts!    

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 29 September 2022, 14:54

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

You can get wall plates for HDMI and other cable types that you then mount on the outside of your house.  Below are some examples.

https://www.mycablemart.com/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=71

I didn’t see them on this site, but you can get exterior outlet covers  at your local hardware store.

The idea is that you would have one permanently connected between the back side of the outlet and your  Amp in the basement.  When you want to watch TV outside, you use a second cable to connect TV’s ARC output to the front side outlet.  Keep in mind that HDMI cables can be directional after a certain length, may require power injection depending on length, and ARC travels the reverse direction of normal HDMI flow.

If you don’t have easy access to add a new line, then I would try and future proof by adding a 2nd HDMI cable (in case you want to add a source like cable, streaming box or something, and ethernet.

Thanks Danny! Appreciate the tips. I’ll look into this. 

If you don’t have easy access to add a new line, then I would try and future proof by adding a 2nd HDMI cable (in case you want to add a source like cable, streaming box or something, and ethernet.

Consider any sort of outdoor wiring as “temporary”. Eventually the weather will get to it. Plan the replacement now.