How to connect TV through Sonos

• 2 January 2017
  • 7 replies

Hi, I would like to start using Sonos with my speakers instead of my existing B&O sound system. I was thinking about buying Sonos Connect to my active beo lab 8000 speakers and the remove my existing sound system? Also I hoped to be able to connect the audio output from my new TV through the Sonos unit and the out to the speakers? If it´s not possible to connect my TV through the the Sonos unit then I have to connect my speakers seperately to both the TV and the Sonos unit and I want to avoid that if possible?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You can connect audio out of TV (assume it has analog outputs using now). The sonos will add about 70ms delay to the sound. I haven't found this distracting or effecting lipsync (some people claim they do). It will mean that the sound from the Sonos will be slightly out of sync with the sound from the TV and if the TV speakers are on it will create an echo (stadium type echo sound).
Userlevel 2
You can connect audio out of TV (assume it has analog outputs using now). The sonos will add about 70ms delay to the sound. I haven't found this distracting or effecting lipsync (some people claim they do). It will mean that the sound from the Sonos will be slightly out of sync with the sound from the TV and if the TV speakers are on it will create an echo (stadium type echo sound).

Hi Chris, and how can I connect the TV to the Sonos system?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
There are multiple ways:

#1 - Sonos Playbar with digital connection to TV giving you minimal delay and surround sound via Playbar

#2 - Sonos Play:5 analog connection via 3.5mm RCA cable to analog out of TV (some TV's don't have you would have to look what you have).

#3 - Sonos Connect analog connection from TV audio out to Connect Line In.

#4 - Sonos Connect:Amp - same connection type as with Connect
I found this a big problem with the play 3 as I wanted to use it with a blue ray DVD player. In the end I bought a Sony sound base which I found to have an acceptable performance and the ability to connect via Bluetooth and I can connect to anything and everything I need. A shame really the play 3 is unable to do so, as it has a good sound but doesn't afford the practical connectivity widely available today and it rarely gets used. I was reluctant to splash out on a playbar under the circumstances.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
I found this a big problem with the play 3 as I wanted to use it with a blue ray DVD player. In the end I bought a Sony sound base which I found to have an acceptable performance and the ability to connect via Bluetooth and I can connect to anything and everything I need. A shame really the play 3 is unable to do so, as it has a good sound but doesn't afford the practical connectivity widely available today and it rarely gets used. I was reluctant to splash out on a playbar under the circumstances.
The Playbar and Playbase fill that niche. It's not reasonable to expect every product to do every thing.

I don't know what circumstances you were experiencing that made buying a similar Sony product versus the Sonos devices more palatable, but I'm glad you found a solution.
Hello, I know this question has probably been asked many times but I want to be certain, can I connect my play 3 to my Samsung 6 series tv?
No, Not in anything that resembles a satisfactory and cost effective way. See the earlier posts on this thread.