Answered

How many subs

• 13 August 2021
  • 2 replies

Badge

hello Everyone, 

Need some advice/guidance. 

Looking to create a whole home music system. Looking to get one Sonos 5 (for my family room area) and a Sonos 5 (for my Living room area) - both in the lower level of the house. And a few Sonos Ones for the upper level rooms of my house.  

Also looking to add some rich bass to the set up and therefore looking to get a Sonos sub. Will one sub do the trick and have enough bass for the entire lower level if I kept it in one room in the lower level. Or does each room require a different sub. Also, any suggestions on placement of the sub. The lower levels rooms are all connected through large open doorways. 

Thanks you all in advance. 

Sandeep

icon

Best answer by Corry P 13 August 2021, 14:33

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @sandeepkamath 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

It depends on how you’re going to use the system - are all the speakers on the lower level always going to be playing the same music, or will they ever play different music? If it’s the former, one Sub centrally located in the lower level may be enough for you. The modularity of a Sonos system means you can always add a second Sub at a later date if you decide one is not enough, with minimal fuss.

If it’s the latter, then one Sub might be too much. If there’s two pieces of music playing at the same time, you may not want a Sub on that level at all (due to the open doorways). I’m guessing this is not the plan as hearing two different pieces of music playing at the same time is generally awful.

The best location really depends on the room it goes into. The following section is from the Sub user manual:

Select a location

Choose a location—it’s designed to provide optimal sound wherever you place it.

• Use the acoustic slot as a handle to lift Sub out of the box. You should always bend your knees when lifting heavy objects to avoid undue stress on your back.

• Make sure at least one side of the slot is free from obstruction. If you place it vertically against a wall, don’t block the front opening. If you place Sub horizontally on the floor, don’t put anything on top of it.

• Sub is designed to sit on the floor. You can place it in a corner, against the wall, behind, under, or next to any piece of furniture on any kind of floor surface.

• Position Sub either vertically or horizontally. If you’re going to use it horizontally, you can attach permanent felt feet (available upon request, contact Sonos Support). See Attach feet (optional) for more information.

ALL_sub-icons_gray_(1).png

Note:Sub contains strong magnets. Don’t place it near equipment that is sensitive to magnetic fields.

I hope this helps.

Also worth noting that the Fives do a pretty good job with bass on their own.  I would start off with just one sub, and see if it meets your needs.  You can always buy another one.