Answered

How does Sonos Amp switch between line-in and HDMI inputs

• 17 August 2022
  • 2 replies

Hello everyone, 

I’m building a home system that would integrate my TV and turntable, as well allow for streaming. I’d also like it to work over WiFi and be expandable (i.e. with a future multiroom setup), so I’m looking at the Sonos Amp. 

The idea is to run hook up both my TV and turntable, to just 1 amp (using the available line-in and HDMI ports) and my existing pair of bookshelf speakers, but I can’t seem to find anywhere how it does input switching. Can it detect when I’m playing a record or turning on my TV? Or do I set it up for 1 thing only and then have to go through endless menus every time you want to change my audio source?

Also, can I then add wireless Sonos speakers to this setup without adding more Sonos Amps?

Thanks for any advice on this!

icon

Best answer by jgatie 17 August 2022, 16:53

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Each SONOS player is known as a “Room”. Line-In on any of the players that support Line-In appear as a network resource that can be played in any combination of Rooms. It is not necessary to play Line-In on the physical player where it is attached.

This article along with this article answers the question.

There is also an “Autoplay” option.

Both the Line-in (turntable) and the HDMI (TV) can be set to autoplay when the Amp senses audio on those inputs.

Yes, you can add more Sonos speakers without adding a new Amp.  You can add a pair as surrounds, or add to other rooms to be grouped to play the same audio in each.  Note, speakers grouped with the Amp for TV audio will lag behind by ~75ms.  Music sources will be in exact sync.