Answered

Hooking up a turntable and outside speakers

• 2 February 2021
  • 4 replies

Hey all

I have a turntable with a pre-amp that I currently connect to my Play5.  However I will be adding wired-outdoor speakers that I need to connect into the broader system.  And I want to move my Play5 away from the turntable.  I also have a Play 3 and a Play 1.

Can I get the Sonos outdoor speaker set w/Amp and plug both the outdoor speakers AND the turntable into the amp?  More importantly, can I then play the turntable without having to necessarily play the outdoor speakers at the same time.  I want to control them separately.

If not, then what is my best option?  Confused!

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 2 February 2021, 01:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Yes you can do all the things you wish to do with the Sonos Amp.. 

1. The Amp will play to your outside speakers 
  2. You can use its line-in to attach your TT/Pre-Amp
  3. You can play the TT audio to any/all speakers (you don’t have to play the TT outdoors if you don’t want to).

Thanks @Ken_Griffiths that is exactly what I need to know!

Just an FYI, you would also be able to  use the audio for an outdoor TV as well.  It might be wise to run an HDMI cable (and maybe power) at the same time you’re running speaker wire if it makes sense, or you might ever want to put a TV out there.  Something to think about.

@melvimbe Danny just so I’m clear, are you saying I can use the Amp to connect the TV to the outdoor speakers? If I run the HDMI cable from the outside TV to the AMP (where the outdoor speakers are connected), how would I use that for sound if I’m using another HDMI port for video (Roku or something).

Sorry for the questions -- I’m a novice audio/videophile.

Thanks!