Answered

HomePod or Sonos Move?

• 31 October 2019
  • 8 replies

Should I buy stereo pair of HomePod or pair of Sonos Move?

I don’t see a lot of threads that compare the Sonos move and the HomePod.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 31 October 2019, 01:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

I’m not sure that they’re pointed at the same market. One is a portable, battery powered device, the other requires plugging in to the wall. I would bet that you might find comparisons between the Sonos One or PLAY:5 and the Apple HomePod, if you were to google it. 

I’m not sure that they’re pointed at the same market. One is a portable, battery powered device, the other requires plugging in to the wall. I would bet that you might find comparisons between the Sonos One or PLAY:5 and the Apple HomePod, if you were to google it. 

Yea I found a lot of topics and comparisons between the Sonos One/Play 5 and the HomePod.

But the price of the Move is more comparable to the HomePod. Between $300 and $400.

The Play 5 and the HomePod would be an unfair comparison because their price difference is $200 and the size difference is massive.

The HomePod’s sound I think is more comparable to the Sonos Play 3, which is I think have been replaced by the Sonos Move.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I agree with Bruce but if you are asking HomePod vs Sonos - I think it really comes down to whether you use Apple Music or not from a music POV and whether you want to use Siri or Alexa for voice commands.  Both companies offer great products.  I have both but use them differently.  I use my HomePod for home automation or quick background music.  I use Sonos for more serious listening of music.

To me, it’s like saying “there’s no comparisons between the Ford F-150 and a Porsche 911”  They’re both great vehicles, but really pointed at two different markets. 

I agree with Bruce but if you are asking HomePod vs Sonos - I think it really comes down to whether you use Apple Music or not from a music POV and whether you want to use Siri or Alexa for voice commands.  Both companies offer great products.  I have both but use them differently.  I use my HomePod for home automation or quick background music.  I use Sonos for more serious listening of music.

Oh so you think that Sonos sounds better because you use them for more focused listening?

My son in law has the HomePod and I have the Sonos Move. He actually thinks the Move sounds better/clearer than his device, plus he likes the fact the Move can be picked up and used in different rooms and in the garden etc.

I can’t comment about a stereo pair setup.

Having heard both speakers, I prefer the Move too, but I’m slightly bias, I guess.

The one thing though is the Sonos App is a good 'one stop shop' for dozens of different audio sources… the HomePod is certainly not as versatile in this, and a good many other, areas. 

My son in law has the HomePod and I have the Sonos Move. He actually thinks the Move sounds better/clearer than his device, plus he likes the fact the Move can be picked up and used in different rooms and in the garden etc.

I can’t comment about a stereo pair setup.

Having heard both speakers, I prefer the Move too, but I’m slightly bias, I guess.

The one thing though is the Sonos App is a good 'one stop shop' for dozens of different audio sources… the HomePod is certainly not as versatile in this, and a good many other, areas. 

Yea, I also think that the Sonos Move sounds clearer, louder, about the same amount of bass versus the HomePod. The portability of the Sonos Move is also very good because I can use it around my house.

And I also prefer the Sonos App because it allows you to play from many different services, and HomePod only play from Apple Music, which is very restricted. I’ve tried both stereo pair of the HomePod and the Sonos Move, and I have to say that at the 50% volume, the Sonos Move sounds louder than the HomePod, which is very surprising to me.

I just spent a bit of time comparing the two and here are a few bullet points: 

• Move gets noticeably louder than the HomePod (definitely triggered my tinnitus)
  • HomePod has a bit more bass by default but using the EQ you can match this
  • the HomePod has a magical and wide soundstage, really sounds expansive - not really a match here
  • both are great devices - the choice is simple, if you need/want to move it around get the Move, if it’s likely to stay put get the HomePod