Answered

Home Theatre speaker selection question

• 3 August 2021
  • 3 replies

Hello everyone,

I am new to Sonos and considering Sonos for my home theatre.  I really like the look of the in-wall and/or in-ceiling speakers, but they seem to recommend their home theatre package with the arc, subwoofer and what appears to be two portable speakers.  I am confused on what to do because I want the best possible sound quality but also would prefer to use the Arc/subwoofer with either the in-wall or in-ceiling speakers.  Suggestions please!  Thanks

icon

Best answer by Corry P 3 August 2021, 10:17

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Matt_Bates 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

With Sonos, you need a Home Theatre device first which connects to the TV and does all the work. This would be an Arc, Beam or Amp.

Then, you can look into surround options. I would recommend the in-wall speakers over in-ceiling speakers, as surround speakers are not supposed to be above you. To power them, you’d need a Sonos Amp. The smaller speakers (Sonos Ones and Ones SL) you saw in the kit are what we’d recommend and a good bit cheaper than getting the Amp plus 2 in-wall speakers. Either are viable options, however.

Then you can also add a Sub for bass.

The Sub and Amp/Ones would connect to the Arc via high-speed, dedicated WiFi link, so no wires are needed (though the Amp would need to be connected to it’s speakers with wire).

If the surrounds are only ever going to be surrounds for enjoying movies and the like, then I would recommend a pair of One SLs, as come in the kit.

If, however, you want some more oomph when playing music, then the in-wall speakers may be a bit more desirable. Note that once set up as surround speakers, the Amp will not play music without the Arc playing too - but this can be done with the TV off.

Although it’s tempting to hide the Amp for a clean look, you would need to make sure it’s within WiFi range of the Arc or connect both Amp and Arc to ethernet.

With an Arc running the show, you have the option of stereo, 5.1 Dolby Digital, or 5.1.2 Atmos sound. 5.1 McLPCM is also available, with 7.1 McLPCM downmixing support coming soon. Dolby Digital and Atmos are available over ARC from your TV in a compressed format, and lossless Atmos and McLPCM are available over an eARC connection. 

I hope this helps.

This was extremely helpful.  Thank you

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Matt_Bates 

You are very welcome!