Home theatre: Arc vs Amp

• 18 February 2024
  • 6 replies

Planning a Sonos home theatre set-up (not music) and I’m considering two different solutions:

4.1 Surround

• Sonos amp with Elac dbr62 stereo speakers (which I already own and use for music)
  • Sonos Sub Mini
  • Sonos One/Play:1 as rears

7.1.4 Spatial audio

• Sonos Arc
  • Sonos Sub Mini
  • Sonos Era 100 as rears

I’m looking to compare performance not cost as I can get both set-ups at similar prices. Specifically I’m interested about these tradeoffs:

• Centre channel: virtual vs real 
  • Soundstage: narrow with smaller drivers vs wide with larger ones 

Obviously I’d rather have spatial audio capabilities but I wouldn’t compromise sound quality from the front channels for it.

Can’t test both set-ups before committing so I’d like to hear if someone has experience with both set-ups or similar ones.

Thanks!

6 replies

I’ve no experience with both setups, but thought you might ‘perhaps’ find this a useful read about Sonos Soundbars and the available surrounds, Subs etc…

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/blog/the-ultimate-guide-to-a-sonos-home-theater

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I got the Arc because I was worried about the virtual center from the Amp. Turns out the Arc center volume isn’t independently adjustable and far too often center dialog is lost under the other channels sound.

Doing it again I’d have gone with the Amp and kept my very nice passive speakers.

How big is your room, open plan or enclosed? You might want to consider a full Sub.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I have a Sonos Amp with those same speakers providing tv audio. For our living room tv, I recently replaced a different Sonos amp driving Kef Q150 speakers with an Arc, Sub gen 2 and Era 300s as surrounds. With the original setup, I found we frequently had to adjust the volume up to better hear dialog, but then sound effects were too loud. With the Arc, we haven’t had to do that. Also, when watching a movie encoded with Dolby Atmos, the overall sound is much better with the Arc setup. I also like the Arc fine for music.

btw, with Era 100 rears, I don’t believe you’ll get the height channels needed for a full 7.1.4 sound.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I think the virtual center quality also strongly depends on the model of passive speakers you use. 
And as the center quality on the other hand depends on the audio format my own experience is that it’s quite better with an atmos signal. So I definitely would go with an atmos setup. 

Userlevel 7

Hi

Obviously you can’t have Spatial Audio without a Sonos Arc or Beam2 (the latter with no height speakers). Your other option is a non-starter using the Sonos Amp.

This is strictly a personal question. You are trying to compare Apples to Oranges…Arc for Dolby Atmos vs Amp for Center Channel.

To be honest I have spoken about the center channel short comings with the Arc many times in this forum. Yet I own three (3). The center channel short comings can be (IMO) corrected with the addition of a sub and using the enhanced dialogue feature in the Sonos app when necessary. Is that a silver bullet correction… no it’s not. However it’s an improvement that is noticeable.

To me your choice without doing an A/B test of both systems is simple. If you want Dolby Atmos you have to choose the Arc. If not then go with the Amp.

FYI, no one in this community knows what Sonos will introduce later. Any mention of future products and/or features is pure conjecture, speculation and rumor. Don’t let those rumblings cause you more stress in your decision making process.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

I bought an Arc and compared it to my amp set up. Tried it with sub and lamp surrounds. It did not sound as good, returned it. Not to say the Arc is bad - if I didn’t have space for speakers on stands I probably would get the Arc. 

I love the Amp but I personally would not buy a new amp at this point, it’s design from 2018 but is still quite expensive. It’s past due for an update.