Help with 5 Zone System Hardware Selection?

• 11 December 2018
  • 10 replies

So, I have a house that is wired for 5 zones of speakers, 1 pair of speakers per zone--and I need help with selecting the hardware.

The way I see it, there are four different operations for the hardware to perform:

1. Source selection and main volume control
2. Converting from stereo to mono (for at least some of the zones, if not all)
3. Pre-Amp: Volume control for each zone (including On/Off)
4. Power Amp

I see several different options:

Option 1: Sonos Power Amp (new version) for all 5 zones.
- This is an elegant solution with high power capacity, and it even provides Operation 2 above (i.e. conversion to mono), but it is very expensive at $600/zone equals $3000.
- It is also very costly to upgrade, as any upgrade would require a full replacement of everything. (Note that the piece that will require upgrades the most will be the Source Selection operation, as that is the most prone to changes in technology. Everything else should last for decades.)

Option 2: Sonos Connect: Amp for everything.
- This is less expensive ($400/zone equals $2000) but is already old.
- It's also much lower power (probably not an issue)
- It also does not perform (or even allow for) conversion of stereo to mono--at least not at the line level.

Option 3: Sonos Connect for Item 1, Home Theater Direct (HTD) for everything else.
- This costs $350 for the Sonos, $500 for the pre-amp (the mid-level version plus the Ethernet to serial module), and $800 for the Amp -- equals $1650
- Note that even though the HTD Amp will mix stereo into mono, it will only do it for the two "line" inputs. It can't do it for the separate zone inputs, which are required when using the Pre-amp to adjust volume for each zone.
- It's not quite as elegant of a solution because you need two separate Apps for control -- the Sonos App for source selection and main volume and the HTD App for volume in each zone.
- It's much easier to upgrade, although I have my doubts are to whether or not Sonos will actually upgrade the Sonos Connect. My guess is that they will want to push everyone into the new Amp.

Option 3B: Same as option 3 except use a small mixer/combiner ($100 or less) to mix the stereo to mono at line level right after it leaves the Sonos Connect. Total cost: $1750

Do you have any other suggestions---both for overall design and for different hardware to use?

Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I would get all Sonos amps.

If you don’t have to have discrete zones you can power 2 zones off same amp (those areas then would essentially be one zone although multiple rooms).

Going to Sonos:amp as it stands today you loose airplay ability. i would worry about its future after next few years. Where the Sonos amps should be good for next 10yrs I would assume. They have inputs should some future tech need added.
Option 3 is actually not cheaper. Option 1 allows a different source playing in each zone, so if you really want to have the complete functionality of option 1, you will need a Connect for each zone. So adding 4 more Connects = $1400 +$1650 = $3050.

I say, go with option 1.
Is there a reason you're not considering a combination of Connect:amps and Sonos Amps? If some of your zones will be fine with less power and can be in stereo, then you can shave some off the budget by going with the lesser option where it makes sense. Yes, it's an older model, but not every zone needs to be on the latest tech, perhaps.

Also, you mentioned that using Sonos Amp would require you to 'replace everything'. What does that mean. Do you have existing equipment you're hoping to leverage?

Last, if you're using the Connect:Amp or Sonos:Amp, one for each zone, there isn't really a main volume and a pre-amp volume in play. You can control the volume of each zone through the app, as well as any combination of music sources.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Longevity would be the connect:amp concern future abilities.

Also, you mentioned that using Sonos Amp would require you to 'replace everything'. What does that mean. Do you have existing equipment you're hoping to leverage?

It means that to upgrade after installing all Sonos Amps (or Connect Amps), you would have to replace everything in order to simply upgrade the music selection capability.

Mixing new Amps with old Connect:Amps might not be a bad idea. Thanks!
Option 3 is actually not cheaper. Option 1 allows a different source playing in each zone, so if you really want to have the complete functionality of option 1, you will need a Connect for each zone. So adding 4 more Connects = $1400 +$1650 = $3050.

I don't need the ability to play different sources in each zone, so my version of Option 3 would be just a single Connect.

Thanks for your reply!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If not overly concerned with multiple sources. I would start with 3 Sonos amps running 4 speakers on two of them.
Thanks for your replies! I think I might try driving up to two zones with a single Sonos amp.

Sonos seems to be a brand that you can rarely get discounts on--even on Amazon or other websites. Do they ever run specials that might apply to the Amp?
Thanks for your replies! I think I might try driving up to two zones with a single Sonos amp.

Sonos seems to be a brand that you can rarely get discounts on--even on Amazon or other websites. Do they ever run specials that might apply to the Amp?

Not usually. They run discounts on entry level units (Play:1 and One) and discontinued units (Connect:Amp). Right now the Connect:Amp is $100 off original retail.

Note: To run 2 pairs of speakers off each Connect:Amp/Amp, the speakers need to be 8 Ohms, for a 4 Ohm total load.

It means that to upgrade after installing all Sonos Amps (or Connect Amps), you would have to replace everything in order to simply upgrade the music selection capability.

Upgrade to what? In terms of music sources, both the amp versions have line-ins, in addition to streaming sources. The Sonos Amp also has hdmi-arc input. I'm not sure what sort of additional music selection capability you're talking about.

Maybe not worth answering if it doesn't have an impact on your decision.

But, Chris is right that 3 Sonos Amps may be a good starting point if you are not interested in different audio sources in the rooms. The only downside is that you would lose volume control between 2 zones sharing the same Amp. Maybe that's not an issue, depending on the zones in question.