Help for a new setup

• 17 November 2022
  • 3 replies

I am looking for a little help on how I would go about setting up a system before I pull the trigger and buy a bunch of stuff. I currently have and use a Symfonisk Lamp with my Apple TV which also has 2 HomePod Minis paired in stereo. I typically use this setup for everything except audio with my PS4 and standard cable box as my TV doesn’t have ARC capabilities.

I recently ordered a new TV (Samsung Neo 8K) and am thinking of picking up a set with the Beam and two One SL (possibly a sub, although I live in a townhouse so I’m worried the bass would annoy people). I also have a nice Philips hue setup with Sync Box.

It looks like I can run the Beam with eArc, but am curious how I’d connect everything to get ALL sound played through the Sonos setup.  Currently, the Philips sync box acts as a “hub” as I connect everything there and have one HDMI connection to the TV.  Would I be running that connection to a non eARC input on my TV and then use the eARC connection TO the Beam? 

Also, I use Siri for a lot of smart home integration, and I was thinking I would keep one of the HomePod minis in the room for that, but if I asked Siri to play some music, it would obviously default to playing on that HomePod and NOT immediately come to the Sonos (correct?).  I would have to turn on the Sonos setup separately I assume?

3 replies

I am looking for a little help on how I would go about setting up a system before I pull the trigger and buy a bunch of stuff. I currently have and use a Symfonisk Lamp with my Apple TV which also has 2 HomePod Minis paired in stereo. I typically use this setup for everything except audio with my PS4 and standard cable box as my TV doesn’t have ARC capabilities.

I recently ordered a new TV (Samsung Neo 8K) and am thinking of picking up a set with the Beam and two One SL (possibly a sub, although I live in a townhouse so I’m worried the bass would annoy people). I also have a nice Philips hue setup with Sync Box.

It looks like I can run the Beam with eArc, but am curious how I’d connect everything to get ALL sound played through the Sonos setup.  Currently, the Philips sync box acts as a “hub” as I connect everything there and have one HDMI connection to the TV.  Would I be running that connection to a non eARC input on my TV and then use the eARC connection TO the Beam? 

Yes and if you look on YouTube you will see Hue Sync with Sonos and most people connect their Sonos device direct to the TV’s eARC port.

Also, I use Siri for a lot of smart home integration, and I was thinking I would keep one of the HomePod minis in the room for that, but if I asked Siri to play some music, it would obviously default to playing on that HomePod and NOT immediately come to the Sonos (correct?).  I would have to turn on the Sonos setup separately I assume?

You just register the Beam as an accessory in iOS HomeKit, it will usually have a room name, mine is called ‘Living Room’ for example, so when asking Siri to play music simply add "…on Living Room” or whatever name you have chosen for your Beam and the music will play to the Beam/Surrounds/Sub.

You can also install other voice assistant services on your Beam, such as Sonos voice control and Alexa etc.

About the Sub - if neighbours are a worry, perhaps go with the Sub-Mini instead, but note there are options to reduce bass by using ‘night mode’ (can be enabled/disabled by App or voice instruction), or there is a toggle switch to switch off the Sub completely.

Hope that answers your questions.👍

That answers it perfectly! Thank you. I will look into the sub mini as it will also save me a bit of money. Are there usually further discounts on Black Friday? There are some discounts happening now, but I’m curious if I should hold off a bit longer?

That answers it perfectly! Thank you. I will look into the sub mini as it will also save me a bit of money. Are there usually further discounts on Black Friday? There are some discounts happening now, but I’m curious if I should hold off a bit longer?

I received this email this morning… 😀