HDMI IN

• 16 April 2023
  • 3 replies

Sorry I am new to the world of Sonos.. just bought a house that has a compete sinks system.   I want to input sound from a firestick.  What I thought I would do is get a hdmi splitter that outputs a RC cables.  Then purchase a Sonos PORT which then would allow that sound to be broadcast on all the other sonos speakers . Is this correct ??

3 replies

Not sure I completely understand, so some of this information may not be useful. 

The Sonos Port does have an analog input for stereo information via RCA cable. There is a minimum of a 75ms delay on this input, mostly for preparing the data for sync across many rooms. In my opinion, this delay would be untenable for use with any video, the lipsync issue would be tremendous. 

You’d be much better off using one of the devices Sonos has designed for connection to a TV set via HDMI-ARC, specifically the Sonos Arc, the Sonos Beam, or the Sonos Amp. You could also conceivably go with an optical connection with a Sonos Ray. None of those inputs would have the delay I spoke of earlier. All of those sound bars contain the right, center, and left channel in them. 

There are speakers and sound bars on many TVs in the house the intent is to play an app on the firestick then have it plug into a 1into 8 HDMI splitter to get the video to all 7 TV’s.   Also on that HDMI splitter is a Audio RGA output what I am searching for is the right Sonos product so I can plug into the splitter and hear the football game on all the sonos devices all over the house 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

If the splitter really works you could use a Port. Just remember any analogue connection to a Sonos device has an 75ms delay, so you won’t have lipsync with the TV the Fire TV might be connected to.